Thursday, December 6, 2012

Victims Eternal

Mornin,

So, as one would expect given all of my various (if not endless) side projects, I'm having a lot of fun with the 6th ed allies system. The latest allied contingent that I'm adding to that list are Eldar Corsairs. I now have a copy of Forgeworld's Doom of something unpronounceable but starts with an 'M' and am rather liking the Corsair list within.  They ally the same as Craftworld Eldar and can ally with their Craftworld (or in my case Exodite) brethren.

Kindova shame really. I had 10 of the FW Corsairs which I was using as Swooping Hawks, but thoroughly disappointed with them, I had sold 5 back well before 6th ed was released. Had I known allies were coming I may have kept all of them.  No matter, the jet packs are an option not a requirement. So for about $2 a model, I managed to get eight 2nd ed. guardians with lasguns (now lasblasters) to use as Corsairs. Currently they're slow boating their way here from England.

To get my Corsairs going, I painted up my chosen HQ choice this week, the Void Dreamer. I figure, as small a contingent as I'll be fielding, there's little need for the Prince to be bothered helping out his mud-slogging cousins. Instead one of the bridge-crew flunkies will lead the way. Void Dreamers are halfway between Farseers & Warlocks stat wise, and in the fluff are often the Helmsmen/Navigators of the Corsair vessels. So yes, like Star Trek, all of the important crew members leave the bridge to go to the planet below...


I got this old Farseer again from ebay for $10 or so, shipping included. His base is caked with glued on sand which was disappointing as I'd be basing over it, but I wasn't inclined to fight with cleaning it all off. Given that he's the navigator sort, I wanted to paint him to reflect that in some way, so opted for a black helmet with white gems representing a star field. Curiously, the gems alter their positions as he navigates the ship thru space, however only the Void Dreamer knows how they do this...

He Also has one hellova big sword slung across his back! I could just give him the standard old Witch Blade, but what good is wounding on a 2+ when it hits no harder than a right hook? Instead I'll have it be a Void Sabre, which confers +1 strength and has rending. So at least once in a while it'll be a worthwhile weapon. 

As always, I like to make up some fluff for my various units, and so while it'll have no real bearing on their use in game, I came up with the following :

Ben Franklin & Longshot are both inquisitors in my rarely used GK horde.

I've started some base coating of the corsairs with jet packs, not much to look at though right now. They're just black & purple...like a bad bruise, which is kinda fitting as they see themselves as 'victims' anyways...



10 comments:

Mordian7th said...

Very cool! That has long been my favorite farseer model. I really dig how that turned out!

Looking forward to seeing the corsairs, too!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thanks Mordian!

neverness said...

Always loved this model! And I always thing of two captions when I see him:

"I'm a BUG!"

and

"That one! That one I choose to DOOM!!!"

Da Masta Cheef said...

I almost titled this post:

My, what big eyes you have...

ColKillgore said...

That is also my favorite Farseer. His finest hour was stopping a chaos dreadnought with one swing of his witchblade.

Looking forward to the finished Corsairs.

ColKG

Da Masta Cheef said...

Wow...that's kind of a hard feat of arms to surpass!

Von said...

I like the write-up! I'd normally lambast you for writing xenos background from an Imperial perspective, but the thing is, you've exploited that to do something insightful and funny that would be more interesting than dire space-elf pontificating... so good luck to you!

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, thanks!

rogue.trader.voril said...

That is so funny. I, too have been working on my cosairs to go with my Eldar/ Derk Eldar, and I ordered the same farseer for the same purpose last week. Back when I played 2nd. ed. That was the farseer I had.

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, I guess its the 'official' Corsair void dreamer model!