Thursday, September 20, 2018

The first 8 Chaos Cultists are complete!


Khorne would be pleased...that is his number right? Speaking of:

 Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows..

They look kinda like an IG Penal unit that got the better of their captors...

Conveniently, the battlefield debut of these guys is happening this coming Saturday in a KT game I have set up with Matt. As such, they're no doubt doomed to die as all newly painted minis rightly are. This will nominally be a grudge match/turf battle as Matt is fielding his genestealer cultists...or rather I think he is. 

It seems he was intending to bring only genestealers. I mentioned that that would make for a completely 1-dimensional game of 'shoot them before they kill us in close combat'. Even a horde of the deranged followers of Chaos will ignore any given scenario in preference for mere survival when there's nothing but 'stealers coming for 'em!

Looks like they've turned tail and are running for
their lives...an all to possible scenario!

In hopes that he'll mix his force up a bit, I mentioned that I haven't faced genestealer cultists since a game of Necromunda played almost 20 years ago vs. Warfrog. I remember little from that game (and none of it good actually). 

All I recall was first, that I hadn't even ever heard of their being a legal list for Genestealer Cults in Necromunda. Followed shortly thereafter by the nightmare scenario of both Vansaar heavy stubbers jamming simultaneously, leaving their gunners to get torn to ribbons by Genestealers in close combat! In the aftermath of our game, so many of my gangers died (including both heavies, along with the loss of all of their gear) that I rage-quit the league we were in. 

Anyways coming back to the present, I'm hoping this weekend's game of Kill Team goes a bit better than that one did...

9 comments:

WestRider said...

They're not doomed to die because they're newly painted. They're doomed to die because they're Culties, and that's their purpose XD

They are at least going to look good as they're torn to shreds.

One of the things I miss from 7th Ed was that, in the Khorne Daemonkin Codex, the minimum Unit Size for Culties and Bloodletters was 8 instead of 10. It was a nice little fluffy touch. Plus, I only actually have 18 Bloodletters, so at a minimum of 10 per Unit, I can't actually field two Packs anymore.

Mordian7th said...

Those look great man - Nice work! Ah, the curse of the "Newly painted die immediately", never fails! :D

neverness said...

They look good! I like the dirty/tanned look you achieved with the skin tones, it's a very real look. Have you been observing the local rednecks for reference?

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Westrider: Thank you sir!, Also I agree that the loss of the sacred unit size numbers is another unfortunate casualty of the gradual dumbing down of 40k.

@Mordian: Thanks and yeah...sadly it doesn't.

@Nevreness: Thanks! Remember that whilst I have a desk job, I also work in a factory. So I only need leave my department to 'observe the local rednecks', lol.

Monkeychuka said...

These have a really grimy, dirty feel to them (apart from the fresh grass!). Great work. Can I ask how you did the lightly rusted guns? I'm experimenting with Ryza rust over Typhus Corrosion but keep messing up. Also my black skin tones are pretty terrible but you don't seem to have problems with either of these techniques.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well, some old guy in a wife beater, brandishing a shotgun came out of his doublewide yelling 'GET OFFMY LAWN!' However, a few autogun rounds sent him back into his trailer and now those cultists act like they own the place! :-D

The guns are just plainted leadbelcher, with a light dry brushing of Coat D'arms magic metal (the old tin bitz, no idea what GW calls it now). Then the whole mini was slathered in Army painter strong tone, and once dry the guns were lightly drybrushed with Ryza rust, followed by bleached bone (again over the whole mini).

As for the brown skin tones (which I find to be much easier to paint than caucasian), just pick a brown (i use several), the wash it again with the strong tone, and go over it with a light dry brush of bleached bone and that does the trick for me.

Ziek said...

The cultist look great!

At one Gencon, a friend and I played a demo game of Dust Tactics. He started off by hiding his army behind cover. But the only way they could do anything was to leave the cover in one direction. That is where I set up a kill box. Needless to say I smoked his army. My friend told me he would never play this game again.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Sounds like my experience with Infinity.

WestRider said...

"(the old tin bitz, no idea what GW calls it now)"

In the current GW line, the equivalent is Warplock Bronze. Knowing is half the battle and all that.