Monday, August 12, 2019

Venomcrawler WIP

o/

If i hadn't trimmed this in gold, it'd likely be already done! Any future VCs that I purchase will not have this time consuming trim color... 

I got this Venomcrawler 2nd hand off of ebay. as such it was mainly a pile of parts, many of which where already clipped from the sprue. No worries (or so I thought), as I just downloaded the instructions from a google search and set to assembling this beast. It went together nicely up until I got to the rear legs. 

This is where the 'pile of parts' became as issue, as the part #s weren't known to me and unlike any of the other legs, the back two are essentially the same, and their armor plates will fit on either side. I know this as I assembled them wrong twice, tore both back apart and reassembled them again and uh yeah. They're still wrong! The nerd-rage was in full force by this point...

As such they're in really different  positions so I just trimmed off the pegs that are used to properly positioning them in their respective sockets, as well as the bit of terrain the one leg was on, and will position them in an even manner once its all painted up. Well, that's the plan anyways, we shall see...

Yes, that's pink and red 'camo' for those of you weren't too sure from the 1st photo.

This will be used as a counts as, long OOP Forgeworld sentinel powerlifter in my Dark Mechanicus IG army. Going off of the 8th ed datasheet, this will operate essentially as a mini-dreadnought which is something the IG desperately need (as opposed to the pathetic close combat abilities of the sentinel with chainsaw). 

It has no guns however, and the old weapon mounts have been trimmed to serve as smoke launchers. I wasn't sure how to mount a suitable gun onto this until I saw the powerlifter datasheet, and then simply didn't care. 

6 comments:

Mike (St Andrews Wargaming) said...

Some of these models are a real pain to assemble without the instructions. I once got a Stompa off ebay and had a nightmare of a time trying to put it together!

Da Masta Cheef said...

I had the instructions (again, thank you google!), whereas the lack of part numbers as they'd mostly been cut off of the sprue was the problem. Dry-fitting ahead of time doesn't work when the leg armor is interchangeable from side to side. But oh well, I'll think of something when I get to final assembly.

WestRider said...

I've had similar issues with the Maulerfiend kit. There are sections of that that are way too easy to assemble reversed from how they're supposed to be. Even with the parts numbers at hand. Cutting off those tabs looks like it should let you find a pose that works here, tho.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Yeah with the pegs removed they're simply ball & socket joints, so it ought to work well enough. If not well...I have enough bitz to make up for any height issues with basing decoration/filler.

Monkeychuka said...

I always cut the pegs off. Converters prerogative. You did the right thing.

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, that's good to know, thanks!