Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ok, why can't I always paint like this?

Sorry for the delay, I was going to post this last night, but my corp in EVE online got war decked & we needed to move some assets out of danger. Considering the haste I renamed one of my ships the 'Evacuation of Hoth' for the occasion. I haven't logged in yet today to see how badly we're doing...

Anyways, 40k!

So, have you ever painted something that came out really good, and then failed (repeatedly) to recreate that paint scheme on other minis? Yeah me too. I picked up the Shaso R'Myr at Gamesday in Atlanta a few years back to paint as a high school graduation present for a friend of mine (these damned kids are making me feel old). He wanted the mini, and was looking to make a polar/winter themed Tau army. So I painted this up, and to be honest, I think that this is one of (if not) the best painted minis that I've ever done! I wrote down the colors used, the order in which dry brushed, when brushes were swapped out for clean ones, etc., so he could try & recreate it. His painting skills weren't as good as mine but I figured he could come close, commanders should stand out a bit from the crowd.

R'Myr_front

I had a small SW army at the time, almost entirely unpainted, so I figured I'd follow my own instructions and use this dry brush scheme on them. Three characters later (all looked good, but not as good as this mini, nor even remotely consistent) I realized that I wouldn't be able to recreate it (the guy I gave R'Myr to didn't even try).

R'Myr_side

Note: There was a Really bad air bubble in the tip of the shield, hence I made it look like a bit of battle damage.

While I'll admit, I took a little extra care as this was a gift, I find it can be infuriating when I paint something really well & then find out later that its going to be a 'one off' paint job. Sigh...not so much talent I suppose rather just random bouts of it. R'Myr doesn't match my Tau army, but I do borrow him from time to time. Below is my Commander Farsight. I finished him this past weekend. The poor little grot is most certainly trying to wish himself away to a happier place (though considering the miserable existence of the average grot, I couldn't imagine what that would be).

Farsight

2 comments:

Max said...

Damn- looks nice! Love the contours on R'Myr.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thanks! Somewhat ironic that I gave away my best painted mini, though as I said I do get to borrow it periodically.