Monday, June 17, 2013

(((Gulp!)))


lol, by both the title and the photo above, I'm sure that you can tell just what this post is about...

Warfrog came out of hiding to play with us at the FLGS this past Saturday with his Eldar. After having been repeatedly asked if I'd read my copy of the codex  (to which I kept replying: no, just a bit of fluff and looking at the pictures), he offered to show me what the Eldar can now do. Sounded good to me as even if I lost, I'd still be able to see just what my army can do.

Well, as it turns out, no not really.

What follows are a few photos taken (by Warfrog & Neverness) at the beginning of and the final moments of my still (sadly) 'not-so-Red Corsairs' which Warfrog used to mop the floor...

Warfrog's '50 shades of grey' army. Unfortunately, while they are Eldar, there are absolutely no models in common with my Exodites/Saim-Hann. Note: The Viper is a proxied Farseer on a Jetbike.

The (not so) Red Corsairs, awaiting their doom...

The Eldar deployment. Probably a moot point given the OMG/WTF extreme movement capabilities of this army. 1500 points, relic, dawn of war deployment.

He went first and for me, things went (steeply) down hill from there...

Fast forward to the end, where aside from a random model or two, and one squad of spiders which blew their jet pack/assault phase move, leaving them to be caught and wiped out in HTH. What you see here is my Sorcerer 'Harold of Nurgle' staring at his oblivion. ONE Red Corsair, bearing his icon of vengeance did survive to keep me from being tabled, but small victory that was...
Ouch.

RTVoril and Kushial elected to just watch rather than play and commented that it was one of the worst beat downs that they'd ever seen me take! Indeed, despite 5 turns the game ended early enough for Warfrog to play another, yet RTVoril and his Eldar (Wraith Knight included) wanted no part of Warfrog's army!

Still it was a fun, and had the occasional moments of hilarity that we all look for in games. I guess now I need to skip the fluff and 'ooh pretty' pictures and start reading my Eldar codex's rules...

12 comments:

neverness said...

Warpspiders scare me! LOL, my goodness that was impressive/ terrifying. That was an intense first turn to watch.

Da Masta Cheef said...

They should scare you..

rogue.trader.voril said...

Lol... Warp Spider Pheonix Lord?

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thankfully no, though I suppose there's a chance of FW correcting that at some later date...

War Frog said...

I enjoyed the game and a chance to get more familiar with 6th ed rules and the new codex. I can only imagine how much faster that game would have went if I had remembered that the jetbikes are twinlinked.

Kushial said...

Just think what could have happened if he'd have had those Jetbike riding Warlocks tagging along after the Warp Spiders casting Guide or Prescience from Divination on the Warp Spiders. Rerolling all those missed shots and racking up the rending total even farther. Or just give them a bit more free base cocaine, a keg of jolt cola, a red bull IV, and a taser to the neck every time they slow down to under 3 inches of movement at a time.

Anonymous said...

I kind of want to see how eldar deal with heavy flyers like the vendetta and the hell turkey and how they deal with mass armor. They sure can rip infantry to shreds it seems.

Kushial said...

Spiders will be able to deal with flyers no problem. They're as fast as a zooming flyer moving flat out almost and with 2 shots a piece that against a vehicle are strength 7, throw on guide or prescience for a reroll of misses and see how many 6s to hit you get out of 20 shots. Should be able to get a flyer down pretty easy.

Anonymous said...

how long a range do they have oon those guns? Also, aren't they at a 3+? With flyers coming on later in the game, the spyders might suffer from getting focused before flyers come on.

Kushial said...

They move 2d6 + 6in in the movement, get a d6 run in addition to their shooting due to battle focus, and then get a 2d6 assault phase move. It takes a bit to leave them hanging out to get shot up. They're moving a potential 36 inches a turn and an average of 20 to 24 inches so they shouldn't have an issue finding cover. And with 3+ saves and some cover, maybe even casting conceal on them to make that 3+ cover as well, and they get really hard to move off the board.

neverness said...

I am waiting to see what the after-market demand for old metal warpspider figs will spike up to! LOL. Those models were released in the early Spring of '94. Oddly, I own the exarch but not any of the actual aspect warriors! I HATED them in 2nd ed, and thought they were over-nurfed in later editions. Finally they are back to being scary awesome but not impossible to deal with ( just hard to deal with). Once again I foresee lots of dead orks rotting in monfilament bundles in my future....LOL

Da Masta Cheef said...

I'd be curious to see how Amy's stealth suit horde would do vs. the warp spider horde, given that they also have the jet pack moves as well as a staggering amount of fire power that they can throw out...