Thursday, October 5, 2017

Dreadtober WIP (2)

o/

Rather than try and tape off and reprime parts of my dread, I decided to just start base coating it instead. True, this might make the green a tinge darker than it is on the infantry due to the black primer, but as there are so few vehicles in my army to begin with I’m okay with that. Beyond picking out the Vallejo heavy green areas, everything else got a thorough dry brushing of GW's Iron Breaker.

I haven't done any work to the base yet.

One thing you’ll probably note is the twin-heavy bolter arm is missing. I wasn’t really keen on using it and perused eBay to find some other options. I found a right-side dreadnought CCW arm and thought the idea of having the ‘gun’ and ‘CCW’ arms reversed from the norm to be rather novel. Thus I opted for that along with an underslung meltagun (both of which ought to be arriving this coming Saturday).

I do wonder just how much of the metal work will be painted gold before all is said and done...

In hindsight, having the main gun simply be a twin-linked missile launcher backed up by a master-crafted meltagun (when using the Covenant of Fire RoW) and a dreadnought CCW is if anything, even more mediocre than the original twin-heavy bolter and missile launcher combination. Oh well. I’ll just run with it. Besides, it can’t be any worse than the Furioso-type dreads that Blood Angel players field, right?

As for the missing twin-heavy bolter, if you want it then you can find it here. 

3 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

Lookin' pretty different now, a melta might be flufftastically salamandery, but I can't see a problem with the TL HB. Which is what ya got...

neverness said...

Right? Especially in the new edition ("Eeew, icky!") where for first time since 1998 those twin-linked guns are actually 2 guns. Also, perhaps consider maximizing your dreads and go magnetic? I know, doing that with metal is a bitch...

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Zzzzzz: Eh, personal preference I guess. It was purchased back when this was a Chaos dread out of fear of fire frenzies (which despite being a HB, it still killed a bucket load of CSMs). :-(

@Neverness: no this is my ancient, 20+ year old homecast resin dread (that predates even the earliest of FW dreads). However that side's peg broke off previously, so whilst it would be easy to magnetize it I guess. I'm just going to go with the ML & CCW/MG fit for this incarnation of its lifespan.