Thursday, October 19, 2017

Dreadtober WIP (5): The one armed bandit!


No blog post Monday as I had accomplished exactly zilch on the hobby front (not even a game played) from Thursday thru Sunday. Not wanting to repeat that, I ignored my various responsibilities and tossed out my sad excuse for time management shoehorned some hobby time into my busy schedule to make some progress on my dreadnought.

Suck it Iron Warriors, the Salamanders have hazard stripes too!

As always there were more touch ups followed by the application of decals. One thing of note on that subject: I absolutely suck at applying decals! Seriously, look at all the decals I have used to adorn any of my minis, and rest assured that half again as many of them were fucked up in the attempted application and were summarily removed before trying again. Excessive use of profanity also accompanies the decal process.

Also, a ways back I bought a bunch of decal 2nds from Fallout Hobbies and whilst some of those are indeed no good, a fair few of them are no worse than the frequently out of register decals that GW oh so often puts in it's boxes of minis. The bastards!

After decals were dry, I slathered on the ink wash...going so far as to apparently re-wet the '44' on left chest plate enough to cause it to move atop of the Salamander icon above it. Luckily I noticed this tragedy-in-progress and was able to move it back before it dried. Unfortunately that put some ink beneath the decal discoloring the clear film around the number. Still, the final layer(s?) of yet to be painted on weathering ought to minimize the damage (I hope).

Waiting for the multi-melta...

Lastly, the more I thought about it, the less I liked the Ironclad CCW arm. The claw is just too big and really upset the visual balance of the mini in my opinion (and my Beloved Wolfy's as well, though in truth she didn't like it from the start). So off it came and onto ebay it went. Instead a multi-melta replacement arm is currently enroute to me to replace it. That'll then get a crash course assembly and painting/inking to bring it up to speed with the rest of the Dread before I do the weathering.

With the arm currently lost to vagaries of warp travel, my Dreadtober progress has ground to a sudden halt. All I could really do was paint over the excess dried inking on the base and clear coat the model as is. If all goes well, the new arm will arrive this coming Saturday and construction will commence once more.


neverness said...

I really like how that is turning out! Wow!
Also, I too have a hate/love/hate relationship with decals. But I don't think I have ever had that particular issue occur before. I

Ziek said...

Whoa! That Dread looks fantastic!

Mordian7th said...

Looking good, man! I do like the hazard stripes against the green, works well!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thanks guys!

@Neverness: I guess in the future I need to clear coat the mini before inking. Though in this case it was decals over decals which could've been part of the problem.