Monday, February 26, 2018

Armored Warfare!

o/


Yes, because this is fair...

Kushial and I finally were able to get our all tank Battletech game in after I had to cancel on him some ways back. He was running his fully painted, Federated Suns Caselton Militia, and his force consisted of:

2 Alacorns
1 Ontos
1 Schrek
2 Saladins
1 Pegasus
1 Hetzer

All were base variants with standard 4/5 (Gunnery/Piloting) crews.

I was playing the 'bad guys' aka: the Fucking Wobblies, of which none were painted. I had a Level II consisting of:

4 LBX Manticores
1 Schrek AC Carrier with Precision Ammo
1 Kurita Behemoth

All had 3/5 crews except for the Schrek which had a 2/5  (my command tank).

His Hetzer finishes off the 1st of my Manticores...

I had advanced technology vs. his tried and true preference of overwhelming brute force! Things started off well for me with the behemoth dropping 2 of his tanks in as many turns. That said it missed partaking in the middle point of the battle due to being (1), bereft of targets and (2) mud-fucking-slow!

Meanwhile, there was armored clusterfuck at knife fighting range on the other side of the table, in which I saw my Manticores all go up in flames. His force didn't fare too much better, and by game's end all I had left was a badly beaten up Behemoth (with only 1 point of armor left on it's turret) vs. an equally chewed up Saladin and a moderately damaged Alacorn.

With that, my Wobblies raised the white flag and in typical fashion, they summarily nuked the planet from orbit.

A 3-turn montage of many tanks (but mostly mine) dying!

Sorry, there weren't too many pics and of those that were taken, most were badly out of focus. Despite my defeat, we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and I'm sure we'd both be up for this kind of game again in the future.

7 comments:

Kushial said...

Caselton not Chesterson, but yes, that was a lot of fun. I am now fully sold on the Alacorn over the Shrek as a deliverer of pain and destruction.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Caselton, Chesterton...they're all unbelievers fit only for subjugation and/or orbital bombardment.

Da Masta Cheef said...

...and yeah, there's absolutely no comparison between the alacorn and the schrek. The 'Armored' Schrek variant from the Jihad era is probably the best version in terms of armor/firepower, but I prefer the AC variant myself. The Behemoth tearing your schrek apart in one volley like it was a vedette illustrates the failings of the base model.

Kushial said...

You know, I'm thinking the next game might need to be infantry and infantry transports only. Could be interesting and a chance to field some Goblins, a Maxim perhaps ....

Da Masta Cheef said...

Conventional infantry aside, I only have 3 heavy APCs...so that might be a REALLY small game...

Kushial said...

Let's see, did a quick tally. Eridani Light Horse has 2 motorized platoons, 3 mechanized platoons, 1 Goblin lance, 3 jump infantry platoonss, and an Engineer platoon. Caselton Militia has 2 mechanized infantry companies. Ghost Bears has 2 Elemental Stars. And the Wolf Dragoons project has 2 Goblin lances, 1 Maxim lance, and 3 motorized infantry platoons. So ..... a short regiment perhaps?

Da Masta Cheef said...

Apparently, yes.

All I have is a reinforced company of of conventional infantry, and three Heavy Hover APCs. That maxes out at the 1-1.5k range depending on what I take, but regardless not much of an 'army' there.