Monday, November 18, 2019

Why are we in this bloody expensive hobby again?

o/

I finally made it to the FLGS for what seems like my annual paint restock this past Saturday, my first visit there in months! Indeed, the stores owners asked if I didn't like 'em anymore. Sad face, real life sucks. Anyways...

Neverness suggested I do a blog review of the White Dwarf, but honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin on such a thing


Paint wise I bought, some more agrax earthshade as my washes were down to a mix of the last dregs of all I'd had left. Testors' flat black spray (depleted that morning) and matte varnish (almost gone as well), Leadbelcher (which was down to sludge), 2 shades of grey for all of my new Battletech terrain, and lastly the orange contrast paint to try out on my cultist/renegade IG horde. I looked at the hideously overpriced GW contrast undercoats, but opted not to get one, instead hoping one of my half dozen primer colors will instead suffice...will see I guess. 

Orange, the prefect color for these 'liberated' penal troopers, but a nightmare to paint. Hopefully the contrast paint will help with that...

I also bought a pack of grass tufts to try out (hard to believe I've been in the hobby this long and have gotten any of these), a pack of green stuff (my mortal enemy) to fix a pair of my mother-in-law's Christmas earrings (don't ask), and lastly my first White Dwarf purchase in many, many years to get the new Inquisition rules (my favorite non-Ork faction). 

Not too impressive of a haul, but when I got to the register and Tennessee added it's 9% sales tax in, that all clocked in at $75.75! The sticker shock left me wondering 'why do I do this again?' Guess it's no wonder that I only restock my paints on an annual basis. 

Sheesh! Felt like I ought to sell an army or something to balance this all out, but then I remembered that the Orks were the only army I had left (and I doubt any of my multitude of kills teams would net that much). So, I counted this as my annual Christmas present to me and likely won't be back to the FLGS to shop again till next year. 

9 comments:

Monkeychuka said...

Still not dipped my toe in contrast paint. When you factor in the primers it definitely looks pricey. If I was still painting Nid hordes I might have given it a go however. Green stuff used to be a nightmare for me but then I discovered 'clay shapers' from an artists shop which was life changing (ok, I exaggerate for effect, but they are great)

Francesc said...

Buy vallejo paint man

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Monkeychuka: U was tempted to get some of the sculpting tools, but the area to be fixed is so small that I skipped it, especially as I knew what I had was already going to cost me a fortune. I didn't get the contrast undercoat, will see how it works with my various primers before I go and buy that stupidly expensive stuff.

@Francesc: I use both actually. I like some colors batter in GW, and other in Vallejo, or coat d'arms. My paint collection is split fairly evenly amongst those 3 manufacturers.

WestRider said...

Yeah, there's a reason I don't really play full on 40K any more. Maintaining some stuff for the various Skirmish games is enough of a drain on my income.

Da Masta Cheef said...

The same with me, not to mention that the proliferation of Knights (or the equivalent thereof) has all but taken the fun out of it. Apparently I just can't afford to keep up with the arms race anymore.

Admiral Drax said...

Sheesh!

For the live of God, practise with the contrast paint first - it's amazing, but it does take familiarisation. I'd advise a very white base coat.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Not sure if I have white...I do have a bone color though. And yeah, my chaos cultists will be the guinea pigs, so if they come out a bit rough at first well...it's chaos so...

Unknown said...

I really don't get why you guys dont have a revolution about that.

Nothing for sale in the USA is listed at the price you actually pay. That is just nuts ! How the ***k are you supposed to cope ?

I'm struggling to think of anohter country where the price on the goods is not the price paid at the till.

It's just insane. I don't know why you put up with it. And I've only ever spent two weeks in Canadia and that made me claw my own eyes out. You guys are tough.

Zzzzz

obtw, yes, it's always surprisingly expensive.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Are you referring to sales tax? Isn't that essentially the same thing as the VAT that you guys have to pay?