Thursday, December 12, 2019

15mm 40k


o/

We all know that nowadays I have a love/hate relationship with 40k. However 8th ed is an easy system to learn and readily available to most everyone. For awhile now I’ve wanted to try a 40k/kill team hybrid in 15mm (indeed, I’ve pondered this idea previously). 


Huzzah! These are FINALLY available!!

To start out (on the cheap) it’ll likely be Marines vs. Nids. On the Nids side I just need to pick up a single gargoyle to use as a flying Hive Tyrant, I have a genestealer which will fill in as a Carnifex, and I have 18 old Termagants which will work as Tyranid warriors. 


(no idea why the above paragraph won't justify like the rest...)

Primaris LTs.
For the marines I preordered a 32 man platoon of Khurasan's new earth doom reserves minis which I'll use as primaris marines in terms of stats. I want to ditch 40k's backstory/aesthetic/universe entirely and we can easily make up our own instead. I'm just calling them primaris here for familiarity's sake. 

Basically will just be using 40k rules with KT's initiative and the you go-I go, on a per unit/character basis in lieu of an individual model as per the KT rules (essentially), rather than the 40k one side annihilates the other turn method.  We can also leave out with bits we don't like (CPs and CP farming, the endless, mostly situational stratagems that slow game play to a crawl, oh and those fucking maelstrom cards that turn strategy into the luck of the draw would be my top picks for omission!). 

Okay wait-I'm getting ahead of myself. We're just trying to go super basic at the outset, to see if this is viable and/or if anyone is really interested (so far my buddies Scott and Hoss are). I have PDFs of all of the codexes and will pare them down to just what is needed. Am wanting to see if this works w/o having to write a whole new game. 

Intercessors Colonial Marines.
As for miniatures…if you really wanted the 40k aesthetic, Vanguard minis makes 15mm Orks, Marines and IG, Onslaught minis makes 15mm IG, SoBs, Chaos, Squats, Dark Eldar, and a sorta Kroot faction. The Ion Age has these space...umm...frogs? that ought to work well as Tau...maybe, as well as Space marines (male and female) of their own. And of course Zombiesmith makes HORDES of 15mm Quar which are easy analogs for the Imperial Guard (as aliens), or rather they did and will soon do so again. Currently they are retooling/resculpting the entire line. 

The above is just a small sampling though as there are TONS of 15mm mini gaming manufacturers/retailers out there!

Regardless, this endeavor will be MUCH CHEAPER than actual 40k though as the platoon I ordered clocked in @ $34, which is the price of just ONE fucking character model for 40k these days! Seriously, WTF?

A Rhino Hippo with a turret slapped on top at the
expense of 2 troops carried, kinda like real life AFVs
Conveniently, 40k points are structured so that you have to buy the weapons for the basic tank hull/trooper allowing you to essentially build the tanks and infantry with whatever you want, and ignoring the 40k aesthetic altogether. 

As you can see, my 'datasheets' just a few examples, with all of the rules*, points, and stats coming from the Space Marine codex. 



*Okay, I made up the Amphibious rule because tanks plowing thru water like its not even there is dumb. I also shortened the walking speed because these guys are little!

8 comments:

Waaargh Pug said...

My desire to participate is at odds, as per usual, with my time to do so.

*looks longingly to the storage container of rad 15mm toys I bought and have never done a damned thing with*

...maybe?

I'm definitely *interested* so let's leave at that for the moment!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Interested is good, I'll take it!!

Also trust me, I understand the lack of time to play. It often feels like gaming is something I 'used to do', now I just paint/build stuff when I can find the time. :-/

Waaargh Pug said...

Damn that's a sadly good way to put it...

But yeah I've got some cool wheeled transports, some squat miners, some of the clear horizon soldiers with exo-suits, a dropship, etc., etc. Lots of super cool options in 15mm. And you can base them on pennies!

Da Masta Cheef said...

I know, sad isn't it?

...and yeah, when I/we tried to wrap our heads around Gruntz, we used pennies as bases as well. Unfortunately it was kindova alien system which is why I am wanting to use 40k's system (optionally sans universe) with a few minor tweaks out of personal preference.

Michael Gunter said...

Man, I wish someone in my neck of the woods would do something like this with me! I love WH40K, but GW has priced me right out of it, especially with the 8th Edition stuff. (Which I'm not crazy about anyway)
15mm is everything I like; cheap, detailed, easy to paint, lots of variety. WH40k rulesets for 15mm? Sure! Wish someone would start making 15mm WH40k dedicated models, too!

Da Masta Cheef said...

You can always right click and save these datasheets and give it a go yourself! Hell, at the rate its taking for my pre-ordered minis to get here, you might even beat me to it!

Also, if you check my following post to this one, there are a variety of manufacturers listed that make 15mm alt 40k minis, Vanguard miniatures & Onslaught miniatures being probably the best ones of the bunch, but there are plenty out there.

Just curious, where is your neck of the woods?

Michael Gunter said...

I believe I'll do that; thank you.
Yeah, I recognized almost all of the ones you've shown so far! Especially the Khurasan Miniatures models. I've got two armies of his stuff myself!

I'm in Northeast Texas, about 2hrs east of Dallas. Not much out here; closest FLGS is an hour south and they aren't much for non-standard rulesets, from what I've seen.

Da Masta Cheef said...

You're welcome!

Ah, ok. There's a Michel Gunter in our local area and was wondering if you were one and the same, but apparently not. :-(