Monday, July 20, 2020

Coping with Orks.

o/

This little bastard was much harder to correctly insert
into place then he well ought to have been.

A thought occurred to me the other day as I fought to properly fit the grot gunner into his portion of the Blitz Bomma's cockpit. Boy, what a lot of fun THAT was...and here I was thinking that people kept building dakka jets for the 4 supa-shootas, only to realize it was to avoid having to deal with the infernal gunner!

Despite my bitching, the gunner is properly seated whilst da pilot's left arm isn't...

But anyways, that aforementioned thought...about a decade ago, my stepfather passed away of cancer. Awful stuff that is, as was the situation. I took a leave of absence from work to go to Florida to be with him for a few weeks before he went and then a few more afterwards for Mom. 

Da Grot Spee, firing a full broadside!

As what I figured would be a much needed coping mechanism, I brought the as yet unpainted Grot Mega Tank (a.k.a.: Da Grot Spee)  with me to give me something to focus on and shut the world around me out for a little bit each day. This worked quite well for me and I worked at it a little be little each day, before and after he had passed. 

That only made the red beakies angrier than they normally are. This is probably my favorite in-game pic ever! Here you see Da Eleet Grot Mountin' Duvishun charging, in a futile attempt to assist Da Grot Spee...

Skip forward to the present, reeling from the loss of My Beloved Wolfy, I found myself at first in a hobby malaise, and then jumping whole hog into working on my Blitz Bomma that had been buried for years (though had I bothered to put in a half hour of work I could have uncovered it at any time). However it wasn't till I was fighting with the above mentioned grot, that I realized I was once again working thru my grief via another Ork vehicle project.

Gettin' ready to shoot da tail some more!

Unlike the Grot mega tank this go round it really wasn't a conscious decision, but hopefully it'll work out just the same. Also I can only hope that the bomma turns out as well as Da Grot Spee, which in my opinion is one of my best painted models. I guess we'll see. Regardless, much like this ol' blog that I can't seem to put down despite my repeated, half-assed attempts to wander away from 40k, Da Orks iz always 'ere for me. 



Note: The usually justified type is absent from this post because blogger is busy 'improving the interface' by breaking shit that already worked correctly. Most of the type would justify whilst writing this post, but a few random paragraphs would not because reasons. 

6 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Whatever gets you through day to day mate. Orks are always there for you! ;)

Ragsta said...

Look after yourself, mate, hobbling has always been therapeutic for me too :) Your painting has always been very good! I do want to see those Coyote Razorbacks tho...

Monkeychuka said...

It's good to return to your first army every now and again. Like coming home. Also, is it mandatory for Americans to go to Florida when they get old?

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Siph: Thanks buddy!

@Ragsta: Indeed it has and a thank you as well. Also that Razorback is still sporting it's awful orange paint job that you've seen before (and nobody wants to see that again do they?).

@Monkeychuka: Technically the IG were my first army, but I haven't fielded them in any meaningful way in years. Besides, we all know that Orks iz BEST!

And yes, Florida is one of the the retirement hotspots in this country (yes, pun intended). However having already lived there for 8.5 years, I can't say that I'd really recommend. It's brutally hot, over crowded, urban sprawl is out of control, it's expensive and hurricanes and tornados are both frequent and often operate together...yeah no thanks. I do need to go there at some point to visit folks I suppose, but the pandemic is a good excuse not to.

Ragsta said...

Hmmm how about reversing the colour scheme for the Razorbacks? So orange heraldry and markings but a black hull with some metallic dry brush/ weathering?

Da Masta Cheef said...

I'm thinking of making the tactical arrows white like they are on the Infantry, whilst the majority of the hull will be black, with a few orange areas, and then yes of course (cause you know me) LOTS of weathering.

There's just so many half started and newly arriving projects in the queue right now, not much is holding my attention span for long...