Monday, February 25, 2019

Daughters of the Burning Rose Kickstarter minis assembled!

o/

Even if you're nice to these ladies, they won't be nice to you!

During the Saturday's deluge of rain, we decided to just hunker down for the day, giving me plenty of hobbytime. All that I had planned anyhow was for our buddy Hoss to come over to play a game of battletech that evening (and more on that later). As such, I got the remaining daughters assembled, and started adding skulls to their bases. 

So how is it that Anvil Industries can have the ends of their infantry's gun barrels already molded as being 'drilled out', yet GW is incapable of that themselves? 

Overall I'm very happy with my minis, castings were flawless, and they fit together superbly! I highly recommend them to anyone interested once they become available for regular sale. 

No sets of arms were the same, giving them all a bit of individuality.

I'm thinking that they'll make good stand-ins for an admech kill team, as that was my original intent for using them as 30k admech-ish militia. So I'm asking: are there any admech players out there who think that that would work? 

*****

As for Battletech, Hoss and I had a good ol' slugfest Saturday night and a battle report will be forthcoming...just not here. For good or ill, I've been wanting to move my Battletech posts over to a separate blog dedicated just to that game. Not sure why exactly, but the idea has been in the back of my head for quite some time and I finally took the plunge and set up another blog for just that purpose:



It won't be updated as frequently as this blog is, but I'm think of posting at least once a month to start off, perhaps more in the future if content allows. So give it a look if you would like (I just know that Neverness is dying to, lol!), and I ought to have that battle report posted around the 1st of the month. 


7 comments:

WestRider said...

AdMech don't really have any guns that look like those Bolters. You could probably make them work as long as you only used one of the two basic Troops options at any given time, since the guns are the main thing that distinguishes Rangers from Vanguard. The Special Weapons they have available are a modified plasma gun, a haywire/electricity gun, and a sniper rifle. The Cyber-Assassins could work as Sicarians, maybe with a little modding to make the weapons look more like the 40K versions.

I think the ends of the guns is a plastic vs. resin thing. Lots of FW stuff has the barrels indented like that, but I can't think of anything in plastic that does. IIRC, most resin-casting molds are made from materials that have at least a bit of flex to them, so they can do minor indents that are in line with the mold and still pull out cleanly, while plastic-casting molds are machined from steel, so you really can't have any kind of undercut at all if you want to ever get the cast sprue out ;)

Da Masta Cheef said...

See that was my concern with the admech, their funky weapons, cyber assassins ought to be an easy fit but the rest...

These could easily pass for IG with autoguns. I do have 2 spare hooded heads, alternatively was thinking of maybe getting 2 Scions with hot-shot volley guns. The scale would be a little bigger though (guess I could claim gene-crafting/ bulky armor or the like).

And yeah I suppose on the molding thing. I dunno, maybe they could put the gate to the sprue somewhere else other than the gun barrels? Not knowing much about that type of manufacturing really limits my scope of it I guess.

WestRider said...

It's not a matter of where they put the gates, with plastic molding, you can only get any concave detail on two sides of the piece, and those two have to be opposite each other. The only way to indent the end of the barrel would be to give up pretty much all the detail on the sides of the gun.

Da Masta Cheef said...

...and thus my 'tradition' of off-centered boltgun barrel holes will continue I guess...

Monkeychuka said...

My first thought was 'some sort of acolytes for the Dark Mechanicum' so I don't see why you can't pretend they have flechette blasters or rifles or whatever. Counts as guardsmen or some sort of Tau Auxilliaries even. Since you mostly play with friends and they seem like a good bunch, why would they object? If I was your opponent I'd probably waste half the game just ogling them and saying 'these are cool, man'.

Monkeychuka said...

Addendum. For some reason they remind me of the tier 2 paladin set from WoW which was my favourite set ever. So my opinion my not be entirely unbiased.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Indeed they probably will. and yeah, I do have a pretty open-minded crowd, couldn't do tau auxiliaries though. Am already going to run Tau muppets, don't want to push it. Speaking of, the muppets are up next for Kill Team, so have some time to ponder what I'll use these for.

After googling the WoW paladins...yeah I can see that. Even more so if i had gotten the more pronounce shoulder pad option!