Monday, February 18, 2019

Relictors Kill Team Debut

o/

The Tau were remarkably resilient in HTH...must've been the additional,
ablative layer of paint. My Relictors really need some of that!

I managed to get a game in at the FLGS Saturday, and was having so much fun that photos were more or less an afterthought. As such few photos were taken and of those, most were lousy. We had a 4-player free-for-all, between myself with the Relictors and a few cultists liberated penal guardsmen, Bob and his (sadly muppet free) Tau Fire Warriors, Noah and his Salamanders Pollywogs, and Phil with his frickin Ulthwe (I think) Eldar that hid in the corner, behind heavy cover all game. 

The good guys shooting the bad guys...as to which is which is a matter of opinion.

Noah and Phil are younger players, and have the ridiculously simple tactics match (i.e.: nobody moves and everybody readies themselves). Thus the 1st turn, Bob and BS'ed whilst the teenagers blazed away at one another with their fully readied teams. Noah actually started moving after that...Phil, not so much.

They're game play is very reminiscent of Screech at that age, so much so that I was calling Phil: Screech (the actual Screech wasn't present but at home playing video games on STEAM, I meant fixing software...). Noah does at least maneuver to some extent now...well, sorta. 

Mercifully, the Tau's massed overwatch supporting fire was wildly inaccurate, allowing me to make multiple charges in as many turns!

My marines used stub cannons in lieu of bolters and they really weren't any better or worse. The S:5 is lost when shooting at filthy xenos and the inability to rapid fire was a little painful, however the shortened range was of no concern in such a target rich environment and wounding marines on 3's balances out the negatives qualities. 

In the end Phil won, Noah was down to his last, shaken Primaris marine when his ride showed up (and he promptly fled the field), Bob's Tau were broken and the game ended before I could test to see if mine were broken as well. I probably got that last bit out of sequence, but the game was over and I  certainly wasn't in the lead making it a moot point. 


4 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

I love those old chunky bolt pistols. Anyway, what scheme for the Rellies you painting? I use Army Painter Uniform Grey as the basecoat which matches Dawnstone (Codex Grey), washed Nuln Oil, highlighted Administratum Grey. Its very quick and forgiving, not need for recess washes or layering with Dawnstone - its a very forgiving colour. Armour joints black, I use accent of Bone to brighten overall army scheme but at this Team level black bolter casing will be ample.

Chapter Customizer dot com has proper Relictor symbols if you are not freehanding the 'side skull' but I've always used the white skulls from the SM Transfer Sheets to good effect over the years and are not changing anytime soon!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Currently I only have one half painted Relictor. Using Mechanicum grey, which will be followed with army painter strong tone, and not sure on the highlights...bleached bone (or whatever its called now) and probably a lighter grey of some sort. Am out of Bleached bone currently, and unfortunately I didn't make it to the shop till after the registers were closed.

I'll probably just use the generic skulls off of the marine decal sheet, as I'll only have a half dozen Relictors, and half of those aren't even wearing shoulder pauldrons, and of those that are, one has a khorne skull pauldron which seemed fitting. I did save that chapter customizer website for future reference/use. :-)

Waaargh Pug said...

Sounds like a fun time! I unfortunately have been dealing with sickness rampaging through my household, so while I'd planned for the Crushbone Commandos to make their return this past Saturday, I was unable to. Glad you guys got a game, though. Sounds like Phil's tactics worked out just fine, to me... ;)

Da Masta Cheef said...

Shush you! Don't encourage the boy!

Sorry to hear that Father Nurgle has decided to move in for awhile. Perhaps you needs to cleanse the premises with fire?