Monday, March 2, 2020

Painting more minis for yet another game that I don't play...

o/

I say another game I don't play as I've been perusing the collective opinions of the blogosphere on the new 40k faq/errata updates more commonly known as the Iron Hands nerf. I haven't made it to an FLGS game night in about a year or so and I'm not at all involved with playing 40k at the moment...indeed my last game was back in June (wow, WTF?), and I haven't read any of the new current codexes. 

Thusly, I found myself oblivious to the new space marine codex 'doctrines' and equally perplexed by all of the wailing, crying, sudden ebaying of Iron Hands dreadnoughts, and gnashing of teeth mixed in with the simultaneous (and wide spread) thunderous applause from across teh interwebz. Honestly, my overall impression of all of this hoopla is this: 
Do I even play this game? 

Seems like I've only been paying attention to what folks are painting in my usual perusal of blogs, rather than what they're playing. Sure I check on rumors and all, but even then mainly to see what is coming out that I can't afford and (again) not bothering to read the associated rule previews for. 

Oh well whatever...so what the hell is it that I'm painting this time? My beloved Quar (and no Monkeychuka, they are still not Skeksis) lol.

Whilst only 6 are in this pic, I do have 7 in-progress. I forgot one back at my desk and....well, they're picturesque enough in their current state for a photo-redo. 

These are nominally my (weird War II but not Konflikt 47) Bolt Action British army. I use that term loosely as they total up to a mere 200+ points at the moment, and am still a squad short of a legal list (indeed, this is the only infantry squad I have). However army legality isn't really an issue as (1) they're anthropomorphized anteaters instead of humans, (2) Bolt action isn't really my cup of tea, and (3) most importantly, I don't know of anyone who is currently even playing it here locally.

As for the Quar themselves, I bought this bunch back in September and they've been sitting on my desk, glowering at me all the while in their dusty, bare metal state ever since. That made me sad, so I decided to give 'em some love following the completion of my Astral Claws tactical squad.  

Only having seven in total to paint I opted to do them all at once in a generally loathsome batch painting process. Luckily, painting 'em this way is going fairly quickly thus far and I'm not hating it. Maybe I'm finally coming 'round to the process...maybe. Once done, my little force will be fully painted barring their forthcoming tank. As such, with that as my (so-called) armor support these are very much in the early war, British Quar Expeditionary Force category.

Admittedly, it does look better than the original ginormous gun. 

Speaking of tanks, I regunned the universal carrier with it's original LMG. I removed the HUGE one as the LMGs that came with the model itself matches the squad carried LMG in both size and design (for the most part). I guess the need for a ridiculously over-sized 'big gun' back when I built it was due to my gamer upbringing in 40k.

Hopefully I'll have these finished up before the ol' hobby butterfly strikes again! 

2 comments:

Monkeychuka said...

Looks like Skeksis to me...

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, well I can't say as to whether or not each one of these looks down the rifle barrel at their next target, they don't sneer the word 'gelfling' before pulling the trigger.