Monday, June 8, 2020

The first combat squad is completed!

o/

And so a new chapter starts to coalesce...


Indeed my Incandescent Coyotes need to bolster their numbers quickly as they've already roused the ire of the Black Templars. Luckily that particular crusade is waging war in another segmentum, with the vast gulf of the Atlantic space between the two chapters.

I just clear coated and left these as is...though I'm keen to see how much of this layer of rust wash will show thru from under a layer of sand.

First up I had another go with the rust wash that I added to the track links on the meltagunner's base. I really slathered it on and whilst it's a bit more subtle in normal light, under the camera's flash it looks fantastic!

Whoa! That was one hellova sand storm! 

Above the sand wash is dry but not yet blended. Good coverage again after a minimal dry brushing of Vallejo light Ivory. I see a few spots that it looks like I missed when applying the wash (the tail was not washed intentionally), but I've found that it all ought to work out fine during the blending process.

Following this I then painted the bases and hit 'em with a quick matte coat in hopes that when I apply the agrellan earth you won't see the white and orange poking thru the cracks this time (not that the inking won't cover that up). In hindsight, there will be yet another varnish layer as I went ahead and added the sand wash too, and once blended that will come off to the touch unless it is also sealed. 

The latest completed three.

I'm pretty pleased with how these are turning out just a few models in from the initial disasters. I especially like the weathered look of their armor. 

At that point, It was just a little bit of dry brushing on the agrellan and tail, a few final touchups, a final matte varnish coat and they're done!

Can't really see the rust thru the sand, so not sure if I'll do one atop
the other again as its largely unnecessary. 

The same goes for the Iron Warriors' helm, the sand wash
obliterated the rust layer beneath.

The finished Combat Squad. 

Another, slightly different angle showing off the chapter icon and
the sergeant's coyote tail.

My next post will feature the myriad distractions that were 'also in-progress' whilst I was working on these three. Because ya know...short attention span and all that.

5 comments:

Monkeychuka said...

I prefer these weather beaten, sun bleached reds to the oversaturated crimson that Blood Angels players tend to favour. I accidentally blot out carefully painted weathering effects too. Gives new meaning to the phrase, 'it will all come out in the wash'.

Da Masta Cheef said...

I always prefer grimy, beat up looking minis vs those that look like the just stepped out of the buffing booth (you know The smurfs have got to have those...).

Technically it’s orange, but after looking at some of the close up pics, it almost looks like they’re covered in rust. Not sure how I did that, just hoping I can do it again.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Or...I could just say that they’re red but their armor has faded to this color.

Intriguing idea, very intriguing good sir....

Monkeychuka said...

well this is awkward. I think they look good regardless of what colour they are. We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thank you sir, much appreciated! Honestly saying the armor is red would explain the redder shoulder pauldrons of the original two which were something of a disaster.

Speaking of disaster...I'm having a slight case of trepidation as I'll be starting work on their Razorback here shortly, and I'm wondering how well these techniques will work on a vehicle sized model...