Friday, June 12, 2020

Distractions aplenty...



o/

In amidst the work on the last three Incandescent Coyotes I was distracted many a time which slowed progress considerably. Be it waiting for an ink, or the contrast paint, or a weathering wash to dry, or simply 'I don't fucking want to today' my hobby area is as littered with distraction as much as my mind is prone to looking for it. As such, here are a few of the other things I was dabbling with during that little project.

First up, my Razorback: 

A few scars still remain from the removal of the original iconography.

Okay so yeah, I've already posted about this previously. Now however it has been cleansed of its Black Templar heritage and is now ready for priming. I took these pics prior to that as primed white models photograph so well...

Originally it was to have a twin-heavy bolter, but I grabbed the wrong drill bit (apparently) and broke/wrecked one of the gun barrels when drilling it out. So a twin-lascannon it is! I guess this will function as a tank destroyer as much as it will an AFV.

Next up, the scout snipers:

Yes, it seems that the Incandescent Coyotes will be cursed with this unit...

More commonly known as the Bane of MY existence due not to the damage they've ever inflicted on my armies, but rather the almost complete lack of damage they've inflicted on other forces whilst in my armies. Seriously, Ever since the debacle of my old Aurora Chapter 10th company army, scout snipers just seem to materialize around here and my dumbass keeps working on them for some stupid reason. They still need to have battlefield debris added to the non-sculpted bases before they get primed. Bleh.

...and then there are the Silver Drakes:

Raptors we are not.

I ordered an easy-build Intercessor 3-pack and got 'em built and primed to hide the Smurfy shade of their bare plastic. Originally I was going to just fill out my lone Intercessor squad, but instead i think i'll just split that instead into two 5-man squads. Telling one squad from the other was going to be an issue as I've dispensed with the squad number decals (being both annoying to apply and practically illegible once the minis are done), and instead have opted for their bolt rifles having scopes in one squad, and none in the other. Easy peasy.

Of course technically those scopes change them into stalker bolt rifles. So were these to actually make it into a game, then I might even consider using them as such since my Drakes lack any heavy weaponry. Currently however, they're all just plain ol' bolt rifles to me.

Finally, let's not forget the Children of Torment:

Obviously still a work-in-progress...

Jesus, never has an army been so aptly named! These fuckers have so much frickin' detail on them that they're a nightmare to work on!! 'Chaos' by definition does not equal conformity, so this guy's trim is in leadbelcher rather than gold. Hell, I have several metallic colors, so this army will one day be painted in a rainbow of colors (assuming I don't rage-quit the project).

So there you have it, my version of short attention span theater. The razorback has since been primed a snowy white and it...or one rather (maybe?) one of the above will get worked on next. Who knows, could be something else entirely.


6 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Ah a fellow HBS sufferer. (Hobby Butterfly Syndrome). Love the front glacis plate on the Razorback.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Very much so yes, and chronically.

The front plate and the Tactical arrow doors are both from Spellcrow, I got them quite reasonably ebay.

Kushial said...

Well, let's be honest, while a common background, they were never Black Templar vehicles. Where the background of my Lions of Harlech was fleet based for so long and then cut off from the Imperium for a while, the bits (while sharing the same Imperial Fist heritage as the Templars) were used more to denote chapter relic vehicles. At least that's how I did it, but the way this hobby works everyone does it a bit different from everyone else.

Monkeychuka said...

Short Attention Span Theatre is a common affliction amongst guardsmen. Report to your nearest Commissar for Short Attention Span Therapy. I hear its quite an eye opener. My Scouts are my favourite SM models and they never do anything in game either. I blame myself.

Ragsta said...

Your Incandescent Coyotes are looking great, as are your Silver Drakes. I think the addition of these Scouts will be quite fluffy re. the concept for the Coyotes you've previously written about - so perhaps the torment will be worth it??? ;P I have been fighting the Hobby Butterfly vigorously recently (Covid inadvertently helping) but last night I did a count and have c.100 figures to do!!! So you are not along >.<

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Kushial: Ya know there is a temptation to paint one of the Rhinos for my Astral Claws which...would look all but identical to one of your Lions of Harlech Rhinos, lol.

@Monkeychuka: O.o

When I sold the Aurora Scout snipers, they went to Stockholm, Sweden. This seemed like a good idea to me as there would plenty of available icy water to drown their worthless asses in once the buyer realized his mistake!

@Ragsta: Thank you, thank you! Ya know there's always a chance but I'm not holding my breath. Scout snipers always seem to be graduates of the 'Iron Hands School of Gunnery' (and old, inside joke in regards to me old IH devs who were deadlier when hitting enemies with their missile launchers than they ever were when shooting them!).

But you ACTUALLY COUNTED your unpainted minis?!?! ((((shudder))) I dread the thought of knowing just how many there are in the unpainted hordes...