Thursday, September 3, 2020

The 'Orange Box' Nightmare Continues.

o/


The Florida Gator/Clemson Tiger jokes will commence in 3...2...1...

 ...when I last left off on my Incandescent Coyotes' Razorback nightmare, it looked well...hideous. However as promised in that post, it is indeed now predominantly black. 


No masking was applied to the rear ramp, I have something
special in mind for that end of the tank...

Utilizing the good ol' blue painter's tape, I masked off a broad center stripe and a small area on the front and then summarily reprimed it. 

What's that stupid old kids joke: What's Orange and black and runs you over? Something like that...

Cincinnati Bengals/Halloween jokes commencing in 3...2...1...

MUCH better me thinks. Since these pics were taken, I did some touchups to straighten out the edges along the masking, as well as another coat of orange contrast (most of said touch ups required white paint first). It looks alright I suppose, now will work on the detailing. Being a mostly black box, I don't think this tank will really come alive until I get to my favorite part: the dirtying/weathering stage. 

Touchups. Always more blasted touch ups to do...

Also, on the Fem Fa'Tau front, the support turret has been properly touched up, and one of the three WIP Shas'Uis is just about ready for decals and inking. I say just about as I noticed a few more touch ups are needed after seeing this close-up pic.  

:-/

8 comments:

Waaargh Pug said...

Have you ever looked into the different testor's rattle cans for color finishes? I know both HobbyTown and Hobby Lobby have quite a few that people use for model cars, so they might have an orange you would like?

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well, what happened is I tried the orange contrast on some marines and after some experimentation, in the end I LOVED them. Then I applied it to this white primed box and HATED the result! So am just trying to mitigate the damage whilst somewhat matching the paint on the marines on what will likely be their army's ONLY tank.

Matching a spray to dried contrast with only the label to go by is likely to be an expensive (and potentially futile) process. I bought a Vallejo orange that looked close (to my eye) to what the dried contrast looked like, but it didn't match and has been since blacked over. That said, it worked well on Oblivi'Anna's flamer, so wasn't a total loss.

neverness said...

I like the armored the whoolybear!

Ragsta said...

Hum. I am pretty sure the detailing and weathering will fix any issues. For myself I would definitely do the orange using a spray tho I can appreciate your colour matching challenges for sure. Keep going, perseverance is the key with hobby butterfly lark - I can tell you this from experience!

Kushial said...

In regards to the 3rd pictures caption, the Bengals are enough of a joke by themselves to not bother bring Halloween into it. But on the upside, they're not the Browns ....

DaTechMek said...

I do like the orange an black, good colour choices

Da Masta Cheef said...

@neverness: lol!

@Ragsta:Yeah I'm slogging ahead with the orange as is. Have most of the detailing painted, was sorting thru decals last night, so the weathering will be coming soon...

@Kushial: I figured that SOMEBODY would appreciate the football humor.

@DaTechMech: Thanks!

Mike (Didcot Wargames Club) said...

Looking good. The orange and black go together rather well on the Razorback.