Thursday, April 7, 2016

Its all about the symmetry...


...or rather adding back in a lack thereof.

I converted my friend Billy's YT-1300 some months ago, but never finished the project. A few weeks back he inquired about my (lack of) progress on it, but as the wedding was imminent he knew he was S.O.L. on that till after the wedding (which is now).

My biggest stumbling block on this (and thus my excuse for delay) was how to paint it. Dry brushing to bring out some highlights is all well and good, but ya still need a decent paint job underneath it. So, whilst drybrushing yet some more (in some sort of brain-dead futility I guess) it occurred to me that having made the YT symmetrical in shape, there isn't any actual need to paint it symmetrically...right?

Right.

So I put up the dry brush and went about painting it normally, and will return to the washes and drybrushing at a later time. Here it is thus far:

I like it but...

One question though: Do you guys like the dark gray/black with the blue, or the lighter gray? Don't worry, the drybrushing will be added later on...

I'm thinking the lighter gray will blend better with the rest of his fleet...


4 comments:

Mordian7th said...

Looks great, man - I lean towards liking the darker grey/black m'self, but if the lighter color is more suitable to his other forces, it looks good too!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well, that would save me a hellova lot of surface area to have to repaint. So, I just painted blue over that light gray section and will go from there.

Thanks for the input Mordian!

Kushial said...

Have you considered some sort of small bright yellow or bright orange design in the middle of the dark gray to balance out with the blue?

Da Masta Cheef said...

I was pondering a red stripe actually, but haven't decided yet...