Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Bolt Action Malaise...

o/

I dunno...just seems that after waiting for years to actually have some regular opponents to play the game, now that I have them I find the game itself to be kinda 'meh' overall. Sure individual games are fun, my most recent game being the one during my bachelor party is a good example, but overall I seem to have little enthusiasm for playing it again. In all honesty, the best part of playing Bolt Action (for me that is) is that it lets me use my Quar minis.

Weird War II at its finest...

For the game itself, that's hardly a good selling point.

I've pondered other forces, like my Eleventy First for example. However the basic trooper minis have been out-of-stock for well over a year now, meaning they're in all likelihood out-of-production. killing that army before it ever had a chance. About the only option left to make 'em a fieldable force is to use the Tank War supplement.

However, before Screech starts giggling with delight, only a recon force built around armored cars, or at the heaviest Stuart light tanks really appeals to me. Playing around with various builds consisting of 3 of the above with an attached (hobbit) infantry squad mounted in a Bren carrier only clocks in around 500-700 point range. It also packs a hefty price tag and I'm loathe to spend much on a game which I'm already kinda bored with...hell, I've even pondered ebaying all of my Bolt Action minis (well, except for the partisans) in hopes of financing a small force of Kromlech's Iron Reich goblins to field as the Germans. However as both Hasslefree's Kindred (the Eleventy-First's Hobbits) and Zombiesmith's Quar are fairly obscure to begin with, I'm not sure if there's even any sort of resale market for them.

So yeah. As far as Bolt Action is concerned, I'm just not sure on what to do going forward...

3 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

Mash up games are the way ahead.

Seriously, it's your hobby, do it your way - it sounds like the people you normally play with are Ok with your vision, so in the words of the song "Don't worry, be happy".

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, from what I've heard I'm not the only one who's getting bored with Bolt Action at the FLGS...

Oh, and despite saying not to, Screech called me 'giggling with glee' about tank war...

Lowtardog said...

I have a lot of quar and have been looking at using boltaction. I notifed you were looking for weird war alternative aremies, well you must check a uk company Black Hat Miniatures, WW1 period french gnomes and german goblins, they are lovely😃 cheers Karl