Monday, April 24, 2017

I hate painting gold...

I mean sure, I could just grab the Krylon like some people do...but where's the fun in that, right?

However, on the other hand GW's Auric Armor Gold paint sucks. It separates constantly, requiring an inordinate amount of shaking to re-mix. Its transparent as hell meaning I need to undercoat with Yriel Yellow which itself is also pretty transparent, and in needing of multiple coats...

Yup, looks down right awful during the WIP stages. Also the tiny 25mm base is for painting purposes only, he'll get an appropriately grandiose base later on.

As such, my Praetor will only terminator trimmed in the gold areas you see above, whilst he regular 'grunt' termies will be devoid of the infernal color for my sanity's sake. Perhaps there's something to be said for the Krylon Marines after all...


...bleh...

7 comments:

Not So Great Wolf said...

Try the new Retributor Armour base paint. Best coverage I've ever seen from a gold paint, especially from GW. Good luck :)

Mordian7th said...

I have the same issue with the GW golds, and have subsequently switched over to the Vallejo range. They're far more opaque and less prone to breaking. I use their "Glorious Gold" and "Shining Gold" quite frequently.

I would also suggest attempting to use a brown or tan undercoat rather than yello, it'll tend to give the gold overlay a bit more of a warm tone and not look quite as flat. Alternately (or in addition), I'm a huge fan of using a Reikland Fleshshade wash over the gold to give it some depth, then a little drybrush of the gold again once the wash is dry to pick out the edges again. Cheers!

Da Masta Cheef said...

I've heard good things about the Vallejo golds, but the FLGS's paint range is pretty limited unfortunately. I'll wash this guy with with Agrax earthshade to darken it considerably, then a few layers of drybrushuing to dull it some more to match the gold my Sgt. Asirnoth (my only other Alpha Legionnaire to have gold decoration).

After this mini though, I'll not use this gold setup again till I find an alternative, be it GW's retributor, Vallejo or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Auric Armour Gold is a layer and designed as a very final hghlight for a warm gold. So it needs to go over a base, Balthazar gold would be good but the new metallics are so much better. Retributor Armour is the best gold (acrylic, water based) paint out there by miles.

The GunGrave said...

Totally agree with mordian here, i use Vallejo Glrious Gold and Shining Gold. I've just painted up my first Custodian (so shite loads of gold!!) with excellent results. The Retrinutor Armour gold (or whatever its called) is also pretty good/ I used this as a highlight over the Vallejo golds.

I also basecoat in white for metallics - might be worth a go.

Kushial said...

I use Vallejo Shining Gold and I purchase it at where we occasionally cross paths for game night in Johnson City.

Waaargh Pug said...

Neat trick (because I hate saying "pro tip"): For the first coat, mix up your gold with a light brown or beige or tan that has good coverage and matches well tonally with your choice of gold 50/50, then put a coat of the gold over it. Works like a charm. ;)