Monday, December 3, 2018

Metal minis, oh how I loathe assembling thee...

o/

Glue not bonding parts together, glue all over my fingers, parts glued to my fingers instead of each other, ah yes...so many bad memories revisited... 

So uh yeah, surprise! Nothing was painted this week as I spent an inordinate amount of time assembling these two little Battlemechs. Seriously, I could've assembled a full tactical squad, hell maybe more in the same amount of time! Its no wonder that there were so many single-piece monopose minis back in the day. 

Now I just need to pick a color scheme and get 'em painted up!

Still, these mechs look far, far better than the previous sculpts that they replaced. Better yet, these two (a Wolverine and a Griffin) finish out my mech company meaning I have no need to buy and build any of these two minis ever again! That is assuming of course that I don't drop one, as a fall from a table with no doubt be enough to shatter either into it's constituent parts with frightening ease.

5 comments:

Mordian7th said...

Nice! Aye, there are times we don't realize how good we have it these days with the quality and ease of plastic and resin. Digging the mechs, just dived back in to the PC Battletech with the recent DLC release. Always good to get some giant stompy robot death in!

WestRider said...

You speak truth. Building metal models is just awful. Every now and then I'll pull something metal out of my pile because it's perfect for something I'm working on, and I get reminded of how much of a pain it is.

You got these to come out good, tho. Those shoulder pads look like they must have been fiddly as hell to get right.

My decrepit old computer can't run the recent BattleTech game, but I still like to get in some MegaMek from time to time.

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Mordian: Indeed, we do have it good (most of the time) these days. I haven't played any of the Battletech videos games in quite awhile, simply not enough time has been available.

@WestRider: Yeah I wish they'd go to plastic, but they're called Iron Wind Metals for a reason...

Actually the shoulder pads weren't too bad as there are plugs & divots to position them properly which was nice. It was the usual waist/hip joints that were the worst, that and the Griffin's legs being in 4 pieces EACH! (yet still statically posed!?!?!) was just plain awful!

And like I said to Mordian, I haven't played any of the battletech video games due purely to time constraints, especially as they're are soul/time sucking endeavors without peer!

WestRider said...

Four pieces each for *those* legs? Someone needs to seriously reevaluate their design technique. That is not enough improvement over the look of the old single-piece ones I have to justify that kind of hassle in building it.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Yeah no shit. If ya include the hip plates, the Wolverine's were 5 each, though they fit together better, especially at the hip joints and at least it has a walking (though not enough to call dynamic) pose...