Thursday, April 24, 2014

Salvage operations in progress...

o/

Waaaaaaaaay back in February of last year, I sank my old predator (the first model I ever bought for 40k) into some simple green. I was planning to strip it of its MANY layers of paint to conscript it into yet another army. At the time the Dark Angels were eying the tank, but that project (like so many of mine) went the way of ebay. As such, this poor sunken wreck remained in its watery...or rather Simple Green grave till today.

I recently downloaded the first two Horus Heresy rule books (and many thanks to those fine Russians who make such things possible), and have been pondering a small Warhammer 30k force ever since. Now, to be honest, I'd LOVE, love, love, love to have the actual FW books, but I don't have the funds to spend $100+ on just one book, much less three of them. Maybe one day...

The extra bit is from an old IG Griffon that was used as extra armor on the tank's front. I've found another of these in my bitz box, so I won't have to worry about stripping the glue off of it. I also found a brand new set of side doors, so I may just run it without sponsons.
Still a bit of crud to remove on the front and the side sponsons...
...speaking of those sponsons, if you're in the market for some, they're available here. ;-)

Likewise I don't have the funds for a 30K army either, but I do have some old minis, such as this one that will scratch that itch with minimal, if any cost to me. It still needs some clean up, but is coming along nicely. Indeed, especially so when considering that whilst scrubbing off the layers of paint, the tank looked like something from one of Nurgle's fantasies, ugh.

8 comments:

neverness said...

I wouldn't sell those sponsons if I were you, you may want to put them back on and they might be difficult to find again. The way you change your mind (and armies) I can already see you putting them back on. Have you considered magnetizing them so you can run both options?

Kushial said...

Plus are you even close to deciding which Legion you're painting them up as?

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Neverness: To be honest I never liked them. Not to mention, that Leman Russ sponsons work just as well, if not better (having had 2 two of these Predator fitted with them in the past). It'll largely depend on how well I can can clean the gunk off of the sides I guess.

@Kushial: I'm steering towards one of the more mobile legions. I'm not too fond of the Alpha Legion or Night Lords specific rules, so am pondering the Raven Guard. The Iron Hands/Warriors and Imperial Fists play just like armies I've had of them in the past, so don't offer much incentive to try them again. Also in the case of the Iron Warriors, I decided with my old army that I NEVER wanted to paint yellow and black stripes EVER AGAIN! lol.

neverness said...

Channel your inner Bond: Never say never again! :D And if the plastic Russ sponsons are more appealing to you, those are even easier to magnetize. Just sayin'. Oh, and I forgot to once again complement you on sticking with, and show casing, the best Predator model GW ever made (although arguably the original had some wonky ass side sponsons). Well done sir!

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, thanks! Yes the original sponsons were terrible designs. Not sure if its the best ever though, I'm rather fond of the current generation predators, though the interim models were just dreadful!

rogue.trader.voril said...

The yellow / black stripes are cake. I had a tutorial on TNWargamingForBitches.com :) some time back and they come out great.

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol. Oh they're easy, for me now after painting that army. I just want no part of that color scheme.

neverness said...

Fair enough, and yes I hated the interim Predators as well I do have that metal Annilator hybrid kit that think looks cool, I just can't decide if the Wolves should keep it or if the Ultramarines should inherit it. *sigh* decisions... :)