Thursday, July 2, 2015

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Mos Eisley?

 lol, no. I was referring to the BoLS comment section. Oh sure I've done my fair share of trolling and nerd raging in there over the years and in fairly equal measure I would like to think (though in a bit of full disclosure, I ought to mention that I did recently buy an actual 'nerd rage' t-shirt...).

True, so terribly true...

What prompted this post you ask? Well I saw the above Dilbert comic the other day and could think of nothing other than BoLS's readers.

In my humble opinion, BoLS ranks up pretty high on teh interwebz list of exectionally vitriolic cesspits. Though its not just the commenters at fault. I think their writers actually encourage it with the clickbait 'rumor' posts which copy and paste a single post from Faeit 212 and spread it over 4-5 separate posts in hopes of inspiring in some ad revenue. That or Rob Bear's typically lackluster offerings (I've played the kid btw, was a rather good game but the best part was when he bitched about all of my Tau smart missile system bitz which he had sold to me). Oh and while on the subject of BoLS writers, 'MBG' is the only one of the BoLS writing crew that I'll admit to actually knowing

(Now excuse me while I try to use the Force to break Mike's fingers before he types out an argument to that statement...)

Oh and some more disclosure: I still visit BoLS and partake in the 'festivities' daily, making this one of those 'pot calling the kettle black' kind of posts.

I will say that there are posters over there whom I quite often agree with, or who have unusually well thought out arguments (as opposed to the usual nerd rage and name calling). Such as: Auticus & Knight_of_infinite_resignation. Sometimes when the fur is really flying and I don't feel like slogging thru the endless nerd rage, I'll just skim the comments and stop when I see their names/icons pop up, to see what they're saying as I find that their posts tend to be the highlights. Unless of course I'm in troll mode, in which case what I'll be looking for is the nastier the comment, the better...


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on, they still have some standards, all be it low, they never did let Edwin write.

miscreant said...

Pff. Dilbert is making comic(s) about the people you know, and play games with, in real life?

HappySpawn said...

BoLS is high on the list? Someone obviously doesn't visit reddit or 4chan very often (or any game forum for that matter).

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well 'high' for non-forums then. No, I don't visit forums anymore (nor reddit ever except by a quickly corrected mistake), I had more than enough of the portent/warseer stupidity (and several others) to never go back. BoLS is at just about the same level (though I did go trolling thru the Age of Sigmarines posts this morning...).

I'm also rather fond of 4chan, though I never venture into their forums (which is probably why).

Knight of Infinite Resignation said...

Hey thanks for the name check, I love you too!

Euansmith, Straylight, Porty, Porkyposter, and Nurglitch are my favourite posters on there, along with your good self of course. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but they are usually intelligent, interesting and civil, three things in short supply generally on the Interwebs!

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol! uhh..thanks?

Yes Porky and Euansmith are pretty good too, I'll have to keep an eye out for the others. Of course I do have to mention that no one is as wordy with their nerd rage as Eric Setzer...

Admiral Drax said...

I agree about Porky and smith, (genuine wit) but despite being one of the original blogs on the bols list, I've long since forsaken the place and removed all links. Way too much nastines. reactionary tosh and misogyny for my liking...

Da Masta Cheef said...

Given their methods of displaying blogs these days, you didn't lose a whole lot of traffic from them. Its gotten so bad I've been debating on removing their HUGE widget from my page and cutting ties altogether.