Monday, January 21, 2019

Three partition walls later....

Seriously. How can something so simple be so fucking difficult? Apparently being able to measure worth a damn is a skill I lack. The two layers of the first partition in my prior post were crooked as hell, so out they came. I measured up a much more symmetrical one, measured off of the first, glued it in as well of both sides and all was good! Well, it was until...I test fit the roof and found an eight inch gap. 

Fuck.

An architect I am not.

My Beloved Wolfy suggested using my mortal enemy (greenstuff) to fill said gap, but the the doors wouldn't fit either (not that they'll be closed). Furious, out it came as well which left me scrambling and scraping thru the dregs of my supplies so find something that would work. I did find an actual partition (ironically) left over from our X-Wing case that sort of fit after trimming the corners, though there's a gap above and below. No worries on those, they'll just ensure ample room for the rodentia/creepy crawlies to scurry back and forth. That and once filled with equipment they won't be all that noticeable. The gunked glue and what not will be painted as the detritus that collects in the corners of...well, everywhere.

The primed bitz. The container's exterior will be primed green,
requiring some masking to protect the interior. 



7 comments:

Waaargh Pug said...

Wow that's a much more in-depth kit that I realized! Also, finally got to see your response in the other post, and I think that sounds like a super fun terrain piece for KT games. Excited to see it!

neverness said...

This is one of those times I wish you had a live blog so we could see your frustration in real time. I would buy you a Necrons Barge just to watch the hate in your eyes and hear the onslaught of profanity when it goes crooked! 😎

Seriously, that was a good creative solution that you came up with. I look forward to seeing how it turns out

Da Masta Cheef said...

@WaaarghPug: Thanks! I seriously doubt it'll be ready in time for our game unfortunately.

@Neverness: Rob once suggested the two of us do a podcast where he would bring up the topic of the latest 40k cheese, meta shift, whatever and I would then rant and rage about it for the next 30 minutes. He was sorely disappointed when I said no. I'm pretty sure he was serious...

WestRider said...

Yeah, those containers can be surprisingly fiddly if you're trying to do anything beyond basic assembly. I usually start with something a bit bigger than I know I need, and then try to gradually trim it down to fit, dry-fitting it after every trim. Still kind of a pain, and I almost always end up over-trimming at some point anyhow.

I really like the cut-out of the one hatch and the options you've got there for it. That's going to look much better than the Storm Bolters hanging off the ends in the standard build.

Da Masta Cheef said...

There's a show on HGTV called Home Town, and in his shop there's a sign that says: 'Measure once, Cuss twice'...that's me in a nutshell! Oh well, it ought to look alright in the end I suppose.

Yeah, I don't care for the stormbolters as either the gunner needs to sit on the container roof, totally exposed or else stand on a pile of ammo/fuel drums in order to operate the guns. Neither option would be all that reassuring I would think. I'll have an automated heavy stubber turret, using two SM tank hatches glued bottom-to-bottom.

Monkeychuka said...

just stick some fans or wire mesh in there and call it ventilation. It could be used as a cat box then without the poor beastie suffocating.

Monkeychuka said...

admittedly a very large cat when looked at in scale.