Thursday, January 24, 2019

30k Breachers

o/

Breachers have always been my favorite squad type in 30k, but until now I've never had any. Clocking in at about $100 for a squad of 10 plus shipping from England was too rich for my wallet. Then FW became available in the USA, huzza-wait what? A price increase? Great, now they're about $112, plus shipping and sales tax. Bleh.

Recasters clock in at about $65-$70 for a squad of 10, but I found these on ebay for $48, a definite bargain! The seller said he thought these were recasts, hence the low price. However if they are, then I sure as hell can't tell from the casting quality.


Only two had minor build issues with poorly positioned guns, so I popped those off and replaced 'em with a flamer and a combi-flamer (in the latter case promoting that grunt to squad sergeant). They have Thousand Sons shoulder icons which I'll have to remove, but as these are resin minis that ought not be too difficult.

Last Spring, when finances were getting frighteningly tight, most of my 30k stuff went the way of ebay to cover the bills (meaning I haven't played the game in a long, long time!). However skipping forward to the present, along with the minis above, I also picked up 10 decently painted MK IV bolter grunts on ebay for $33!

These additions have finally given me 30k's two quintessential troops choices: breachers and a tactical blob squad. Adding them to the remnants of what I already had brings me up to about the 1000 point mark. I'm calling this army 'done' from a purchasing perspective for the foreseeable future, and I hope to get some 30k games in with Bob here in the next few months. For bigger games, I have my Imperialis Militia horde, but I prefer smaller games so as not to get overrun with heavy armor, against which I simply cannot compete.

2 comments:

WestRider said...

Breachers are def one of the coolest Unit concepts in 30K. Nice find!

Also, given my experiences with FW resin, I'm not surprised that recasters manage to match or exceed their quality ;)

Da Masta Cheef said...

Nor am I. I built a FW Armageddon Pattern Medusa for a buddy of mine several years back was rage inducing because the casting quality was so bad! Sadly, such poor quality direct from FW is more the norm than the exception in my experience and I haven't bought any minis from them in years. Whereas these are pretty much flawless, and already trimmed of flash/imperfections!