Well, I've been working on trying to turn all of my inquisitorial 'circus side shows' into a viable army (without having to buy any stupid monkey models). I've also had to raid the Aurora chapter vehicle pool & added in a handful of GK just for good measure. Can I field it? Yes, once I get Coteaz (or 'Cotex' as Murl has dubbed him) and the purgation squad. Will it work? Probably not.
Locally for opposing forces I have the following to choose from: Tryanid psyker/MC spam, completely immobile 'mechanized' IG, Plague marines, at least a half dozen Space Wolf armies, and a random allotment of everything else.
Of course there will be no sympathy for me as I'll be using a codex that often makes me feel I need a shower after perusing its pages. Matt Ward's wish-listing in print doesn't strike me or most of 'teh interwebz' as balanced. 5 points for a master-crafted upgrade? Only 5 for psybolt ammo? Makes sense when a regular SM rifleman is only 5 points cheaper right? Combat servitors can swap their servo arms for a heavy bolter for free, really? isn't that a 15-20 point upgrade in the IG & SM codexes?
Aside from the paladins (and only as I saw they come in units of 1) & purgation squad (I needed a GK devastator unit of some sort) & vehicles. I haven't even read the rules/fluff for the other GK units (or even the majority of the fluff in the whole book).
I don't think I've felt this much distaste for a codex since the current CSM codex was released (only just for entirely different reasons this time around). And yet, last night when I pulled all of my various Inquisitors & retinues out, I couldn't help but smile with affection for the whole mob of them. So, in trying to make heads or tails of what I had, I came up with the following list:
The Wound Allocation Circus: 1498 Points
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Longshot
Hell Rifle, (2) Servo Skulls
(the no longer obsolete and now) Eversor Assassin
Matt Fucking Ward! (Paladin)
Master-Fucking-Crafted Nemesis Force Halberd
The Imperial Forestry Service:
(5) Acolytes w/ Autoguns (Bolters), (1) Acolyte w/Stormbolter
Forestry Service Rhino
Dozer Blade, Extra Armor
Interrogator Flintlock’s Horde:
(1) Acolyte w/Plasma Pistol, Carapace Armor
(6) Acolytes w/Hot-shot lasguns & Carapace Armor
(1) Acolyte w/Hot Shot Lasgun, Power Armor
(1) Banisher, (1) Death Cult Assassin
Searchlight, Extra Armor
Interrogator Franklin’s Horde:
(1) Acolyte w/Power Sword, Carapace Armor
(2) Acolytes w/Nothing (not even clothes!)
(1) Acolyte w/Carapace Armor, Flamer
(1) Banisher w/Evicerator, (1) Crusader
(1) Acolyte w/Carapace Armor
(1) Nid-Slayer (Death Cult Assassin)
(1) Acolyte w/Boltgun & Carapace Armor
(3) Gun Servitors w/Heavy Bolters, (3) Combat Servitors(1) Acolyte w/Power Axe, Carapace Armor
(1) Acolyte w/Power Axe, Power Armor, Bolter
(5) Purgation Squad
Extra Armor, Psybolt Ammo, True Silver Armor
(2) Twin-Linked Autocannons, Extra Armor, Psybolt Ammo
I still have a dozen or more unused retinue models, but they would serve really no other purpose than throwing warm bodies onto the table top (and I think I've already done that enough here.