Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Hunchback

'What hump?'

lol, oh wait-wrong hunchback...

Screech put in an order for some Mechwarrior Online-styled battlemechs for Battletech. Coming from Australia, shipping costs were astronomical, so a group order to split the shipping was the idea (though after only 4 mechs, the shipping got even worse!). Not knowing what to get him for Christmas I offered to buy him a mech, and in turn he bought mine (killing 2-birds with one stone for the both of us). So what did I get? A hunchback!

This is what it looks like in MWO.
The Hunchback has a bucket load of versions and whilst not an omnimech fluff wise, the mini was built as one (more or less) where the main armament could be swapped out for another. In game terms its a moot point as you only use one configuration through out the battle, omni or not. They do sell single armament versions of the mini which are cheaper, but the cost difference was negligible, so why bother?

Of course not everything in MWO is completely cross compatible with its table-top forebearer. Thus I ended up with some extra parts. Either unidentifiable weapons not available in the table top version, extra lasers as the all med. laser variant in MWO gives you the option of mounting them on either shoulder or split between the two (the latter of which is probably best but regardless not available for the table top), one SRM-6 launcher was missing out of the two needed for the dual mount, (2) AC-20/10 bits (which was fine as both were somewhat badly miscast and after considerable drilling/scraping/cutting I took the better of the two), and so on.

Fodder for basing...In hindsight, I may snag the one on the far right with the extended barrel to use as the oh-so-mediocre (but occasionally useful) AC-5 variant. 

The miscasts were unfortunate given that it was on the mech's trademark weapon, but in the end I have usable bits for my three preferred versions:

easily one of Battletech's most
 recognizable designs.
The HBK-4G (base model AC-20, plus upgraded AC-20 variants of which there are many), the 4-H AC-10 variant (my favorite Hunchback type overall. The Autocannon toting variants are the Hunchback's bread and butter. Whilst everyone fears the AC-20 ones I prefer the AC-10 which halves the damage for double the range. The only AC-20 version that I like to use the is the 5-H pirate model which is also festooned with rocket packs!

6 medium laser in the torso
and 1 more in each arm!
The HBK-4P or, as I like to call it 'Death by a thousand laser cuts' is my 2nd favorite Hunchback. Whilst its just as short ranged as the AC-20 types, it doesn't suffer from having your 'big gun' miss with one bad die roll (like Rob did twice in our last game!), but instead fires a flurry of shots that will shred the target. Like the AC-20 types, this is an excellent city fighter!




This would be a great fire
support mech for a Hunchback
lance though...
And lastly the HBK-4J, twin-LRM 10 model. Sure the dervish or Apollo, or..well, any number of other fire support mechs do the job either better, cheaper (or both), but (1) the LRM bit is visually my favorite of the weapons options in this set and (2) I don't have any of the other fire support mechs in my limited inventory. Yes, as far as hunchbacks go, this is kind of a meh option but it looks cool, so will no doubt see some tabletop use.



So yeah, a good buy, I'd highly recommend 'em, just beware of casting issues which are far too expensive to return.








4 comments:

Mark said...

I've been loving working on these mechs. They're excellent sculpts of classic designs.

Heretek said...

I picked up a heavy lance from Insane Kangaroo of two Thunderbolts (my favourite heavy), a Rifleman, and a Marauder for my Eridani Light Horse, and I've been really happy with the models. Pretty damn good for a small Aussie shop on ebay.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Oh they are! Really the only miscast (mold slip) was on the 2 autocannon bits, its just a shame that those are the trademark weapons for this mech.

Overall though I'm already considering getting more...

Kushial said...

@Heretek, always nice to see a fellow ELH collector.