Thursday, July 5, 2018

30k/40k Rapier Laser Destroyer Conversion

o/

So, I've been working to make my 30k armies cross-compatible with 40k as the latter is played much more frequently here locally. So much so that I've been pondering phasing out the 30k part altogether...

MOAR DAKKA! Isn't needed in this case...

Thus my 30k Imperialis Auxilia Rapier battery needed a refit. Admittedly it looked really cool with its quad-multi-laser, but it didn't really bring anything to the table (so to speak) given that my Auxilia is already festooned with heavy stubbers! True, it could take out a rhino in one volley (theoretically), however Rhinos aren't a problem, Landraiders and other heavily armored tanks are! As such, it has never been used.

So, I decided to refit it with a laser destroyer array, or rather the equivalent thereof which is available in both 30k and 40k unlike its previous weapons fit. I decided on using the Mechanicum's eradicator-beamer as it looks cool, is fairly inexpensive on ebay, and after getting some measurements of said bit from Bob (who has a dunecrawler from which this bit comes), decided it was also just the right size for my Puppetswar weapons mount. So a bit o' glue, a pinch of profanity  as well as a spare radar dish and wallah, its built!

No doubt this gun will move this little guy way up on the target priority list!

Yeah I like that. Now all it needs is a bit of paint. Given the recessed areas and being mostly mechanical gubbinz, I'm thinking that this will be a fairly quick, mostly drybrushing project.


No comments: