Thursday, November 18, 2021

Primaris Intercessor painting continues...


I really ought to get back to that DKK diorama, but momentum and all that... 


Ready for inking.

With two back-to-back games of 40k fielding my Ultramarines vs. Neverness, I've been (slowly) working on getting more of my army painted up. As such, in between those two games I started work on another trio of Smurf intercessors. 


It still surprises me at how flat these look without washes, and to think I didn't use them for well over a decade...

Were they the standard blue, they'd have painted up quickly but as always I've taken the long way around and camouflaged them. Speaking of, I reversed the order in which I applied the Macragge blue and Mechanicus grey. Once complete I doubt any difference in appearance will be noticeable and I sure as hell am not going back to repaint them! 


Apparently these two were underperforming and will thus remain just basic intercessors.

Another issue with these three intercessors is that they were originally allotted for my Silver Drakes army. So I tweaked that army list (500pts) and promoted 5 of my 7 painted grunts up to veteran intercessors, who will be lead by the (recently acquired) bolt pistol and power sword wielding Primaris Lt. who has since been demoted to Vet. Sgt. and downgraded to a 32mm base. 


I was concerned about matching the level of filth on the repainted pauldrons as compared to the old ones, but I think I got it. 


The other sides match pretty good as well. 

The other two painted Drakes remained standard intercessors and as such had their right pauldrons repainted and redecaled with tactical arrows (which is a change to the army's overall markings). 

Turning back to the Ultramarines, once the above Smurfs are finished next my paints and brush will come to my Primaris Ancient. This was another recent purchase (bought the demoted Lt.) both of whom saw their first taste in battle little more than 24 hours after arriving in the mail

The Lt. was unceremoniously cut down with little return effect. Whereas the Ancient, not so much. Historically in my experience, 40k standard bearers seem to share that same particular fate on a regular basis, making them a rare sight on the table top. However this guy stubbornly (and somewhat futilely) fought to the last, refusing to let any see his red(?) flag fall! 


YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIV-oh wait...

As such he's next in line to be painted, in recognition of his glorious demise pictured above. 




1 comment:

neverness said...

That Primaris Ancient is definitely a hero! He is stern and unwavering, like a standard bearer should be! I think I need one now also.