Monday, October 29, 2018

Monochromatic flashbacks...


Way back in the day...

...I had an Iron Hands army. It was big, pretty effective on the table, and most of all, it was booooooooring to paint! Black armor, white guns and boltgun metal trim...and other than a few bitz and bobs in various colors, that was pretty much it. Painting it was monotonous as hell!

Still in the very rough initial stage. 

Skipping forward to the present, I started painting a quartet of renegade Iron Hands/Blackshields for 30k and as this post's title says: I'm suffering from monochromatic flashbacks. I'll do my best not to fall asleep whilst painting 'em. When finished these four along with their previously painted sergeant will give me a fire support squad for my little 30k army (and then I'll paint something both entirely different and decidedly more colorful). 


5 comments:

Mordian7th said...

Oof, I hear that. Did an IH army a while ago and darn near went into a coma. Fun to model, dull to paint. Nevertheless, they're looking sharp, man! Good stuff!

Siph_Horridus said...

Thought about spicing them up with Hazard Stripes Or Company colours?

WestRider said...

I don't know why, but that's not something that's ever really bothered me. I love Iron Warriors (at least now that I have gold paints that don't suck) because I can just slam a bunch of them out no problem.

At least they came out looking really cool!

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Mordian: Well you paint like 30 or so at a time! I have no idea how you can do that! I'm lucky to get a mere handful done before flitting off in another direction...

@Siph: Ack! Iron Warrior flashbacks!!! lol, At the same time as my old Iron Hands army, I also had the Iron Warriors with hazard stripes on ever bolter (((shudder))) and frequently elsewhere too, and Silver Skulls. Come to think of it my armies weren't too colorful at the time, yellow stripes aside.

Given that these are renegades, I keep bouncing around the names: the Bloody Hands, Bloodied Hands...something like that. As such they'll likely get a few splashes of red, or maybe at least hands. My Iron father (formerly a techmarine) is predominantly red, so will need to do something to tie him in with the rest.

@West: Well yes, the vallejo gold is vastly superior to anything GW offers. However my old Iron Warriors were, given all of the dry brushed boltgun metal, primed black and painting yellow stripes over that was no picnic!

WestRider said...

I was actually talking about GW paints. Balthasar Gold and Retributor Armour are both great.

I've never liked the hazard stripes look that much, so I didn't bother. Just the metallics, go back over the bolter casing and joints with black, and do the eyes in red. Piece of cake.