Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Musterin' Da Troopz...

o/

Neverness recently commented that we were about due for our 'quasi-annual' Orks vs Orks 40k game. I agreed and started looking thru the ruins of my army to see what all I could scrape together. 

Turns out: not much.

I have approx. 1,000 points using the 'patrol' force org. No doubt CP farmers are already giving that army type a hardy 'boo-hiss', but the battalion list requires 3 troops choices which I don't have. Following the debacle that was the release of the 'updated' 7th ed Ork Codex, and my subsequent rage-quit/ebaying frenzy, I found my current troops allotment down to a mere 13 Ork boyz and only a handful of grots!

I found the stikkbomb toting grunt a bit odd, till I read that 1 in 10 ork boyz can have tankbusta bombz in the new codex. 

Funds are tight currently, but I did find a cheap squad of 10 (and for once, well assembled) boyz on ebay and picked 'em up. I'll probably get another from the same seller in the future if they're still available to get the requisite (if only the minimum) of 3 troops choices, but the 20ish that I have now will just have to suffice for the time being. 

10 comments:

neverness said...

Yikes! I knew you down-sized, but I didn't know you had did it to such extremes since last year! Well, at least you got troops hearing da call of da Waaargh and showing up for da next krump'n...

Da Masta Cheef said...

If I recall correctly, there was a 2nd, milder downsizing after 8th ed. settled in and left me with a 'meh' impression of it (something that has never really worn off).

Waaargh Pug said...

Haha at this rate you'll pass my slow ass getting the Kill Team done working on these new Orks.

Actually yeah, you probably will. Kill Team didn't super impress me. Maybe with better missions or something? I dunno.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Just because I have them doesn't mean they'll get painted....ever.

Maybe different missions? Or perhaps just not playing either my 1-dimensional Zerg Swarm or Phil (though he's a bit sensitive about that...seems he's a bit guilt ridden over his past shitty tactics). Last time I played hm he was fine I guess, however it was a 4-player free for all and I couldn't hit or save a thing, so crumpled more or less like tinfoil.

Waaargh Pug said...

No no your zerg swarm was fine, it was a fun time en generale. I do think that for the game itself, though, I need a more complicated/different mission style to stay entertained.

Otherwise it's just, for me anyway, hug cover and see if I can roll a 6 to hit anything lol.

WestRider said...

Yeah, that's why I always struggle to sell stuff off. Seems like all too often I end up wanting it again before too long.

Da Masta Cheef said...

@WaaarghPug: GW needs to institute (or fuck it, we can just house rule it) the 40k Dakka, Dakka rule: i.e.: 6s always hit and generate (1) additional roll to hit. Otherwise its damned near impossible for Orks to shoot anything!

@WestRider: yeah...I have a lonnnnnng history of rage-quit sell offs and later repurchases. Our lack of storage space doesn't help either. Oh well...

Kushial said...

WOW, how far the Group has dwindled. I remember a time where there were enough Grots to stop a Tyranid horde with their dead bodies alone.

Monkeychuka said...

Orcses? I don't think I've ever seen you post about greenskins before, which is odd considering the title of your blog. I guess now I know why. Fair play to you for rage quitting tho. Orks got very little love from GW for decades, didn't they?

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Kushial: indeed, that was way back when Da Eleet Grot Mount'n Duvishun was almost at full divisional strength. Sadly, 40k was far more enjoyable then than it is now.

@MonkeyChuka: Da boyz have been on the back burner ever since the release of their 7th ed codex. Prior to that, their ancient (as usual) codex put them well behind the 8-ball and whilst still fun to play, they were in desperate need of help. However the 7th codex was more like a kick in the teeth than anything else.

Locally, 3 entire ork armies went the way of ebay in the first week or two following that codex release. Mine might have as well were it not that this blog is named after my army. That said, what remains is a pale shadow of its former glory...