Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Back to Weird War II...I guess?

Yes that's right folks, the Quar have returned! 

I love these goofy little minis and really missed them after trading away my army a few years back. I bought a small squad the other day on a whim, as Zombiesmith was having a labor day sale. Thus, taking a (small) break from Battletech and...well, everything else, I painted up these few that I had bought well over a year ago (also on a whim).

I adore this in-game pic for reasons that I honestly can't really identify...

Not knowing what to do with 'em exactly, I opted for the same route as the last time: Bolt Action. Ya know: that game that I really want to like but find to be kinda too generic, and better yet no one that I know around here is playing currently? Yeah, that one. There's also Konflikt '47, but I don't know of anyone who plays it.

I guess my Quar are coming out of their retirement Quonset...

All that remains of my old army is the tank which is currently buried somewhere, and my Quar-Quonset terrain piece. Of my 'new' collection, I have a Bolt Action universal carrier, in which I'm having to seriously butcher the Quar crew (who when in the sitting position, are kinda shaped like meatballs with appendages and uniforms) to fit into said carrier (which is still a very-much WIP), and the minis below. 

Going with the standard BA setup, first up is my Lt., armed (presumably) with a pistol holstered somewhere under his long coat.

At some point in his long, half-painted career on the shelf, he was dubbed:
Leftenant Archibald Wrex


Next up is my FO and his 'Walkie-Talkie'. The FO is also armed with a pistol.

I thought I might have been going overkill with the leaves, but then thought of my yard in Autumn and nah...


Lastly, my Boys Anti-Tank rifle gunner. Despite the mediocrity of the AT rifle, in my old army it proved it's worth many-a-time, whereas the sniper team (of which this guy technically is one of) was patently worthless aside from capping a lone German officer in one game.

This is easily my favorite Quar sculpt!

Group shot!

I also have a cook who will likely assist  either the AT rifle gunner, or my HMG gunner (as the latter is likely not to fit into the universal carrier). I also have a squad of 6 coming, one of which will serve as the other gunner's mate. Once all of these are painted (or there's another sale), then I'll see what I'll add to this both fledgling and for the foreseeable future totally worthless army...

5 comments:

WestRider said...

I'd never even heard of those before. They're really cute! I look forward to seeing more of them on here.

neverness said...

Admit it, It's that BFG explosion on the ground that keeps you loving that first pic!

Da Masta Cheef said...

@WestRider: Zombiesmith is a small gaming co. in southern California.They're the same company that my 'Tau Muppet Auxiliaries' come from. I used to have a bucket load of Quar a few years back which I used for bolt Action. Also, if you have a PS3 with VR (I don't, sad face), there is a Quar video game you can play.

@Neverness: lol, those make excellent pin markers for Bolt Action! I do miss BFG though, and still have my 2 Ork Kroozers and maybe one or two other odds and ends I think..

Da Masta Cheef said...

It should also be noted that in that top pic, my tank only managed to shoot the distant farmhouse (in lieu of anything in the opposing army) for the duration of that game...

WestRider said...

Yeah, I looked ZombieSmith up after I saw this. They've got some pretty cool stuff. I'm not much of a video game type, tho, so no PS3 for me either.