Wednesday, March 31, 2021

My Camo Smurfs are done (for now)

By my order as an agent of the Holy Inquisition and in the name of the God-Emperor of Mankind: Kill them. Kill them all!

Eight minis painted, which in a combat patrol consisting of a mere seventeen models is a pretty good chunk. Ironically however, in order to fit in the Inquisitor, my list consists of three squads of five marines each (intercessors, assault intercessors and hellblasters respectively) Thus, one of the above painted intercessors gets to remain in the mini case for the time being. 

Forethought and planning, for the win

I loathe what that set of AGL arms cost me, suffice to say it was almost as much as the rest of the marine that's holding them! 

This was my first application of an assault marine decal in a very, very long time!

Rather than finish out the last intercessor, I ought to have painted a single hellblaster so that each squad would have at least one painted mini. Oh well, I'll get back to these guys eventually and rectify that. 

I'm really pleased with how this guy in particular came out!

Overall I like the way that this little project has progressed thus far. The dirty, urban/mountain camo looks good I think and certainly presents a rather different visage for these Ultramarines (as opposed to the usual blue tide). 

*****

Next up in the paint/assembly queue will be some Bolt Action followed thereafter by my most recent Eldar Corsair and Exodite acquisitions. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good camo effect. Not doing camo on the shoulder pads diminishes the effect though

Da Masta Cheef said...

True. However these are prideful marines who are willing to only go so far to obscure themselves. I considered covering the helms & shoulders in camo initially, but figured the Chapter icons and tactical markings would simply disappear. Whilst that may actually be the point, visually on the table top I didn't think it would look right.

Thanks for the comment!

Siph_Horridus said...

They look fab, I agree camo on minis needs to be like this, apart from actual realities and keeping bright Chapter matkings is very Space Marine. My only suggestion would be adding some blue wash to the gravel in places or add blue grains? Then the choice of camo colours make more sense. Top job

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thank you Siph! Am thinking a blue wash might be too strong, would have to look into seeing if I can find some blue sand/flock to add to the mix. I can add some blue flower tufts, representing some sort of local flora to the bases of future minis.

Siph_Horridus said...

Yeah I meant only blue sploshes. Tale of Painters did an article on using Contrast to dye tufts so might be able to do that with your existing grass tufts?

Da Masta Cheef said...

Ah ok, splotches might work, I'll see if I can find that.

I have blue 'flower' tufts. Thus far I think I've only really used them in my cave sections as subterranean alien flora, and maybe on a few Tau bases.

Da Masta Cheef said...

OOH, the contrast on the tufts looks great! Will have to give that a try, thanks for the tip!