Monday, June 28, 2021

It was a Star Wars Friday night with Frankie

o/


My GF's son is (like me) a bit of a Star Wars nut. As such, the other evening when they were staying at my house for the night he asked What am I going do to entertain myself now? It was too brght outside for a proper light saber duel, his Switch was at home and my XBox has finally kicked the bucket. So I suggested: Let's play X-Wing. 

He had no idea what that entailed but with the name X-Wing he was all for it. I paired it down going super simple (having not played myself since 2019, I was a bit rusty, much less teaching it to someone new to mini gaming in it's entirety). We had 2-ships a piece (approx. 40pts.), Frankie fielded 2 Rookie piloted X-Wings with no upgrades, whereas I had 2 Gold Squadron Y-Wings with R2 Astromechs (to keep them from being too terrible). 

Initially calling it a literal training mission, I belatedly realized I was using Scum & Villainy dials, so instead I guess my Y-wing pilots went rogue and the X-Wings were sent to hunt down the defectors. No asteroids, or or obstacles, and in lieu of target locks, I opted for barrel rolls as well as the standard focuses. 

I didn't take too many pics, but here's kinda how the game went:



It was about two turns in of just maneuvering along with rules explanation before I thought to actually take a pic. This was the first turn of any real shooting and my Y's abysmal lack of evasion dice came sharply into focus.


It was only after losing all of my shields, and taking a few structural hits that my pilots to actually fight back with some decent die rolls, by taking this X-Wing's shields out in one volley.


He really seemed to enjoy the hidden and thus unpredictable movement mechanic.


First blood, one of my Y-Wings disintegrates under the onslaught of beginner's luck.


I did manage to take out one Xing, but only moments later my other Y went boom much to Frankie's delight!

All in all he really enjoyed the game and whilst we didn't have any time for another game this weekend, he's asked several times since when we'll get to play again! He also rummaged thru my collection, as well as my showing him pics of ships that I've converted and painted for others. He really liked this YT conversion, so I've bid on a Millennium Falcon on eBay and in the event I win it (and if I don't I'll just bid on another one), I'll convert it just the same and then paint it up to his liking. 

*****

My young Padawan warming up in the back yard.

After the game it was dark, and time for a proper light saber duel...I might need a GoPro for a proper video of that sort of fun. To my surprise, he was much more aggressive than I thought he'd be! Much fun was had, and we couldn't help but laugh as cars slowed considerably as they drove by, and indeed we even heard one kid yell: 'THAT'S SO COOL!' out of one passing car, lol.

No comments: