Friday, September 9, 2022

Mk VI Marines, they came by twos....

 o/

Currently they're camouflaged to look like Space Wolves.

Welp, my Horus Heresy Mk VI marines are all assembled, and I can honestly say: I'm notta fan. Oh sure they look fine and all, rather what I dislike are the way the models are designed. I mean, they're mono-pose marines, how is anyone to get excited about that? 

I do like the bayonets. My Mk IV guys all have sheathed combat knives bayonets strapped to their belts, allowing me to mix 'em in with these guys.

Well, at least they're not like the 2nd ed 40k mono-pose marines!

No mixing and matching of parts with any of the other various armor types here. No variations of pose aside from: is he looking left? Or right? Or just forward. 

WTF GW? 

It's bad enough all of your characters are mono-pose, but now your grunt infantry have to be too? It's not like they're fielded in squads of 20 where the massed repetition will be noticeable or anything, right? 

Well at least these two turned out differently after one was promoted to Centurion. 

Speaking of, the only pistol-in-hand option that comes with this kit is a plasma pistol, which is still quite possibly lethal to its wielder in HH. So instead, I scrounged up a modern 40k bolt pistol hand. 

I ordered a bunch of 'IX' pauldrons from eBay. Seemed fitting for the 9th Legion.

Comms/augery scanner dude on the right is the rare marine who stands out in this crowd.

Also, I like assembling 2-piece pauldrons said no one ever. Yeah I get why they did it, but it seems unnecessarily fiddly to assemble, much like the Praetor's cloak which is inexplicably in 3 pieces. Also, even with the instructions, did anyone else have a hellova time getting the cloak and backpack fitted together just right? Or was that just me? 

This beastly bit will remain detached until I paint it and the Praetor, otherwise there will be no reaching those recessed areas!

Anyways...for the time being, these guys will constitute my 2 base legionnaire squads of 10 each. Once I build the Kratos, I'll have approximately 750 points meaning I'll need to buy another squad of something to at least hit 1k. Not sure what though I can assure you it won't be anymore Mk VI's!

Someday these guys hope to all be in the same squad (assuming I don't lose interest well before then...)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The arms are interchangeable at least, this gives you at least some variety compared to completely monopose kits. Really don’t understand why they couldn’t include a bot pistol though.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Indeed, I've seen some pretty good assault marines using these bodies with different arms and converted packs on instagram. But yes, the lack of a bolt pistol-in-hand is a ridiculous oversight.