Monday, July 29, 2019

My new Ultramarine 'deadnought'

o/

Clearly the Smurfs were in retreat, making recovery of
this once mighty hero an impossibility.

My latest ebay purchase, well...arrival I guess (I'll explain this bit later) is a 3D-printed, wrecked Space Marine Dreadnought. The printing lines that cover every surface of virtually every 3D printed item that I've bought thus far are annoying, though this is by far the worst offender in my little collection of said minis. Still, as this if just a 'wreck', such striations can be written off as deterioration, weathering, etc.. 

Perhaps the plasma cannon was set to supercharge?

This was pretty much a 'speed paint' as from the time I sat down with the primed model to the time I was clear coating it was a mere 1.5-2ish hours. It works though me thinks. I had intended to paint this in the colors of Neverness' beloved Space Dogs, especially as they're the only space marine force to fight on my new gaming table thus far. 

However I was afraid the greys of the wreck would get lost given that the table's gaming surface is also grey. That and the striations would make painting the triangular pack markings a bitch (which is also the reason I forewent using decals). 

I'm thinking that the' powdah' that WaaarghPug is so fond of would have worked well here, but alas I only had the Ryza Rust paint on hand. 

Luckily for me however, the trolling of Neverness (something he accused me of recently) can continue as he has a Smurf army as well! 

Whilst I'm happy with this purchase (finally), I'm not sure I can recommend it for purchase. Sure, it was a mere $11, shipping included, but it also took the ebay seller ELEVEN freaking days, and two email inquiries (the second of which was rather hostile) before finally marking it as 'shipped'...and even then it would take approximately another 36 hours to make it into the postal service's possession according to the tracking info. Grrrr...

...but its ready to mock my favorite opponent the next time he can come over to play!

3 comments:

Waaargh Pug said...

DA POWDAH FIXES ALL. HEED ITS NECESSITATIONS AND BASK IN ITS GLORY.

Monkeychuka said...

The print quality is terrible but I love it. Great basing and paint job. It looks like it has been left on the beach to rot for about 50 years.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Thank you sir!

Yeah, like I said its the worst of my 3d printed purchases, but works well enough as a wreck.