Friday, January 6, 2023

Fun with stencils (Take 2)

o/

Can't see it can you?

Way, way back in 2016 I bought some stencils from Fallout Hobbies and gave 'em a try. It was kindova disaster. Clearly the stencils were intended to be used with an airbrush rather than a paint brush. Skipping forward to the present and I still don't have an air brush (nor am I looking to get one), so upon finding the same stencils tucked away in a box here recently, I thought I'd give em a go when priming and...they look alright me thinks. 

This model arrived in the mail already primed black.

I didn't think to take any pics until after the 3rd coat of primer.

This vehicle is a WWII German prototype APC (probably the first modern APC) of which only two are thought to have been built. I stumbled across this model when looking for a cheap, model for a sci-fi APC for my near future troopers, without a 40K and/or Star Wars design aesthetic. Turns out, that there's not a whole lot out there that fits that bill. This caught my eye though and being obscure as it is, I figured what the hell. For something that's likely to only ever sit on a shelf, it's fine. Here it is thus far:

I wonder how visible the camo will be once this is coated in my usually thick layer(s) of grime.

The O.D. green went on a bit heavy and left a slight ridge around where the stencils were. Am sure said ridges disappear during the drybrushing phase.  

I'd imagine that if 40k Guardsmen were to try climbing into these tight confines, they would feel like space marines trying to squeeze into a Rhino!

Looks good overall, now I just need to paint the rest of it. 


No comments: