Monday, February 4, 2019

Munitorum Container WIP 4


Yes, prior generations of my family include dairy farmers, why do you ask?

The majority of my recent hobby time was spent fiddling around with new acquisitions, and adding caution stripes to the ramps/doors of the container. The latter required about 3 coats each per yellow stripe! Unfortunately, once I decided it was too much of a bother, I was too far along to want to paint back over them. Oh well, a bit of leadbelcher dry brushed over them to show wear and tear and the doors are done...on one side at least.

Behold: the curiously ironic monotony of adding visual interest...

Other than that, the roof is glued in place (sorry Monkey), and after blue-taping off the open areas,  the exterior is now primed and ready to be painted. 


About that though...I've been asked if I'd be interested in doing a 30k commission of painting 30 Salamanders. Assuming the buyer agrees to my price (determined by consulting a commision painting buddy of mine, and shopping around online for the approximate costs of others who do that), I could make a tidy sum. However I'm worried that I'd paint nothing but Salamanders for the next three months and find that I hate doing so about 5-10 models in. 

Dunno...might be worth trying just once I suppose. Maybe. 

8 comments:

Waaargh Pug said...

Commission painting work was grueling and spirit-crushing for me, but there are plenty of people who do it happily/successfully, so I wish you the best of luck sir! Is it for someone local? Seems like the 30k hype is warming up again.

Da Masta Cheef said...


That’s what I’m afraid of. Haven’t heard back from the guy so will see, and no he’s in NYC. I sold him my salamander praetor & he wants an army to match it.

WestRider said...

I've been considering trying my hand at some commission painting as well. If you do go for it, I'd definitely be interested in hearing how it goes.

Da Masta Cheef said...

No word back on the commission price. Perhaps I was too high, and/or perhaps I really didn't want to do it. Sure I could use the $$$, but I don't think I've painted 30 of ANYTHING in a row...EVER! lol. Oh well, back to my metal bawks!

WestRider said...

Highballing the estimate is a time-honoured tradition when it comes to dodging commissions you don't actually want to do ;)

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well...I'm not going to say that that was a conscious decision, but I'm not going to deny it either..

;-)

Monkeychuka said...

I found it really difficult to work to work on a deadline commission. My boss at work asked me to paint one of his models and it took an embarrassingly long time to do. He paid me in Ral Partha models effectively. That container is coming along nicely. I thought you'd modeled a crushed door but then realised it was masking tape!

Da Masta Cheef said...

Well having not heard back, I'm guessing my foray into commission painting has become a 'failure to launch'. Probably for the best though. I painted a friend Dreadnought in exchange for minis last year, and it took me forever to finish it seems. I just don't like painting other people's minis when so many of my own still need to be painted.

Thanks! But no, no crushed door. No post yesterday either as about all that I've managed the past few days is to base coat the container's outside, thus it went from green to greener...not really a blog worthy topic.