Friday, February 22, 2019

New Toys! So many new toys!!





Seriously, its like painting paralysis! Where do I start?? Worse yet I'm completely out of the oh-so-essential bleached bone, and am down to the last, sad dregs of my Mephiston red...but who needs those colors right? Yeah...I do.

 I was going to work on my Muppets, but (1) it never stops raining which hinders priming and (2) every one has a skull or three of some sort on each their bases, meaning the lack of bleached bone rears it's ugly head at the out set. My Relictors also suffer from this same exact problem.

It only took 'em 30ish years to make a decent sculpt
for the Catapult and Thunderbolt!

I did however get my new Battletech starter set in the mail and after perusing the rules, I found the rules weren't any different from prior incarnations of the game, though I did find that I'd been calculating the heat costs of jumping both incorrectly, and to my detriment. The main reason I got the box was for the minis.

Scale inconsistencies...its still a thing. As you can see by the 85 ton Stalker on the left next to a 65 ton Catapult on the right.

That said, I sold 2 to my buddy Hoss (the Battlemaster and Awesome), to both minimise the expense and give him a functioning lance, getting his collection off of the ground. Also, I and am trading out my Shadow Hawk for his  Wolverine.

My painted Awesome is the same size as the older metal sculpts.
The new one however...is not.

Ignoring Battletech for the short term, Monday I instead finished base coating my munitorum container and 'ard coated several surfaces with plans to add decals on Tuesday, but then...

The Daughters of the Burning Rose KS minis arrived, and they look AMAZING!!! Just look:

Cyber Assassin #1


Cyber Assassin #1

...and their glorious backsides!

The Inquisitor-esque freebee and an assembled bolter grunt.

...and their respective backsides.

Nine more bolter grunts in progress...

What a novel concept: gates that are usable as terrain!

Unfortunately, I've been stuck adulting the rest of the week during my usually allotted hobby time, so progress has stalled at the above building stage. I hope to get them going again either this weekend, or else next week. For the immediate future, I have a 'teaching' game of Battletech vs. Hoss set up for this coming Saturday afternoon.

6 comments:

neverness said...

Very cool. I can't wait to see what you do with those Sisters!

Monkeychuka said...

Wow. Those cyber assassins do look good. And the bolter grunts could be used 'counts as' for lots of things

WestRider said...

Shame about the inconsistent scaling (the Locust looks like it's barely smaller than the Catapult!), but individually, those new BT sculpts look great! That is def the best Thunderbolt sculpt I've ever seen.

The Burning Rose stuff looks great, and that use of the sprue is absolutely brilliant. I hope that starts spreading to other manufacturers.

I lucked into a clear day for some priming yesterday. Hopefully there'll be one over your way soon!

Da Masta Cheef said...

@Neverness & Monkey Chuka: My original plan was just to use 'em as another 30k Militia allied contingent, but they're too cool for just that. I'm hoping the Inquisition will make an appearance in kill team soon!, Or is there a 40k index rule set for the Inquisition? Will have to see...

@WestRider: Its...always been a thing unfortunately. So will mainly use em all together, though the 'kittypult' will likely lead a a lance of mediums, negating its size imbalance.

Yeah I'm really please with the KS minis, I almost didn't get the assassins in favor of more bolter grunts, glad I did though! And yes, the sprue terrain gates is a wonderful idea! I tried to use some of the Forgeworld gates as jersey barriers once, but there was no consistency of size (and a hellova waste of resin!).


Sunday the rain looks to be stopping...at least for a day. There's flooding everywhere here, and you've no doubt seen the mudslide in Hawkins County, TN that killed a guy (about an hour's drive or less). Its making the rounds on all of the major news outlets, weather channel, etc. Its been awful around here of late weather-wise. SO much for winter...

WestRider said...

I tried that with FW gates as well. Same experience.

I hadn't seen anything about that mudslide. Most of the news I follow is more political stuff, and I get all my weather info from an app on my tablet that mostly just does local stuff. Except hurricane warnings, for some reason, which I still get even tho I'm about as far from where hurricanes hit as it's possible to be in the lower 48.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Yeah sorry, I forgot that you're on opposite end of the country when I typed that.