Monday, February 1, 2021

Downsizing 'da Groop


 lol, I'm sure that just by that title alone Neverness has a knot in the pit of his stomach, and perhaps rightly so.

It isn't news to anybody that I don't play near as often as I once did, which has only been exacerbated by the ongoing pandemic. Thus my pile o' shame is both considerable and taking up a lot of space. Granted I still have some extra of that following the passing of My Beloved Wolfy, but that said I could probably do something better with it were some of it not filled with a literal pile of plastic that I have little want to paint. As such, force reductions are well under way:

First up, the Spess Mahreenz. As y'all may recall, having just sold off all of my non-primaris Spess Mahreenz, Kushial blindsided me with the gift of a veritable horde of them! From that collection both the Astral Claws were reborn, and my Incandescent Coyotes came into being. However with the Coyotes clocking in at about 500 points, and the Astral Claws at about the same, I was still left with a Landraider and 30-odd marines. Not wanting to sell what was gifted to me, I passed those minis on to Neverness. 

My Silver Drakes clock in at about 1000 points, with maybe 1/10 of that painted. No plans to add to or reduce their numbers at this point in time. They're not too high on the list to get painted either...

Next up: Chaos. I mentioned just a few posts back that I sold the majority of  my chaos marines off, reducing them to a mere kill team. 

Then there's My Beloved Wolfy's Fem Fa'Tau. By far my largest army (at the start of this paragraph anyways...), clocking in at a little over 1500 points of almost entirely unpainted minis (the original, paltry collection of painted Fem Fa'Tau minis Wolfy herself fielded are all in my display case). I didn't see meself doing much with these, and burned out after just a few painted up in a new scheme. Still, being hers, I didn't want to sell em, so what to do? Well, my buddy Hoss has flirted with Tau and 40k for years, but the astronomical cost of entry into the game has always kept him from making the jump. He was also one of My Wolfy's favorite folks. As such I have approx. 1K of Tau set aside to suck him into the financial hell that is 40k. The remainder are staying with me to all wear the Fem F'aTau's new colors...someday

The Exodites...barely clock in at 500 points, They're good as is. 

And lastly there's Da Long Wayz Dezert Groop itself. Recently they achieved something like 90+% painted status when 30 or so unpainted minis were sold to another local gamer. Riddled with sentimental favorites, they're all but impossible to sell off in their entirety. They are still fieldable as an army (albeit a small one) as their troops compliment has been reduced to a mere 10-strong slugga boy mob. 




Storage and transport of these little guys will be much easier as well!

That said, just days prior to the above mentioned sale, I purchased 48 new orks (pictured above)...in 15mm scale. Sure they may not be as detailed, nor have as much variety of models, but at the same time a *NEW* 500pt army cost me $50, of which a goodly portion of that was shipping from the UK. 

So...that's the current state of things around here. More minis are likely to go, just not sure what at this point. 

6 comments:

Monkeychuka said...

I sold about half my Grey Knights. I still have feelings of anguish and regret about that. I refuse to sell any more of my babies. Having said that, gifting models to people and knowing they'll go to a good home is a great feeling. Also, I believe 15mm models will work very well with your new scenery.

Da Masta Cheef said...

I've probably sold dozens of armies, and various parts & portions of other armies as well by this point. My old Beastmen IG army is really the only army I've had seller's remorse over. At the time I'm thinking I was strapped for cash, but honestly don't remember at this point. Gifting minis is good though yes, especially her minis which are going to one of her favorite gamers.

Looking forward to 15mm 40k, rather than remake my own record sheets as I was doing before (in effect creating my own game), I'm just using stock datasheets, with unit movement rates reduced by 2", leaving all else as is. It ought to work fine I think. I'm up to 30 painted cave sections, and am looking forward to getting them all painted (at which point I'll likely buy more...).

neverness said...

...who the hell is playing 15mm 40k?! I mean, really?

Also, I want to play again... well, yeah let's just establish that, I definitely want to play again, but damn this pandemic to Hell! But, yeah, I want to play again against those Eldar of yours and of course our Ork vs. Ork game. I'll do those as often as possible, not just annual, as they are always a joy.

Da Masta Cheef said...

Nobody actually.

BUT...it's a well known fact that I have long since been priced out of 40k and it's only getting more expensive. I'm also not all that happy with 'Primaris 40k' in general and would be open to other game systems, but don't know which ones are worth a damn (given the vast array of 15mm mini lines, there's gotta be something good out there). That said, everybody knows 40k, so it is easy to adjust it slightly to 15mm.

ALso yes indeed our games are A LOT of fun and I'd love to do more! Whereas pick up games with random folks have long since lost their appeal as most everybody has Click's kick your teeth in mentality. Also, I've taken a liking to smaller, 500pt games and most folks tend to baulk at that notion.

So I'm just doing what I want to do.

Zzzzzz said...

Well, I'm playing epic in 28mm, Does that count ?

You'll need a suitable army if you ever come here...

But you could always use one off the shelf.

Da Masta Cheef said...

I've always wanted to see the look on the face of a TSA grunt as a mini army case went thru the airport scanner, but the logistics of bringing an army to the UK is a bit daunting. If only you had a few extra models...